1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plant suggestion???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sweet Tater, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I hate to post this in the mowing forum, but it seems no one replies in the landscape forum, so I am asking:

I have a customer asking me to do some landscaping for her and I don't have much of a clue. In the front lawn there is a 200 year old oak stump that at this time we cannot move. Btw this is an area historic home. There is an area of dirt and grass (weeds) about 3 ft around the stump. My question is we want to put something evergreen around it to hide the stump which is about 4ft tall, something that flowers would be nice, and multiplies and thickens fast would also be nice. nothing that grows say over 6 ft as this is on a stop sign corner and could be an issue if its too big. any suggestions are greatly appreciated. btw we are in North East Ms zone 7 I believe.
  2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

why don't you just cut down the stump?
  3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Agreed. Just call a stump grinder and then start planting when its gone.
  4. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

If grinding or cutting the stump is not an option, I would suggest getting with your local yard and garden center (not Home Depot) and have a talk with the pros about options. Dwarf azaleas come to my mind.

Weed control on the inside of whatever you plant around the stump could become an issue.
  5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

thats a hard one. its hard to plant around the stump to hide it w/o making it look like a sore thumb...idk what to tell you.

mississippiturf, i wouldnt worry too much about weed control. if he can get plants in there that look decent and dont look awkward he's doing good. weeds aint a big deal IMO
  6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Also the problem about planting around a stump is the bugs and weeds. Bugs are going to want to live in that stump and they will eventually start eating and destroying the plants IF the roots from the stump dont ****** the growth of the plants first.
  7. I.M. Green

I.M. Green LawnSite Member

I would agree with getting out and if not you will have weed and bug issues. BUT if all you can do is plant around it and IF it is an option in your area I would say Blue Plumbago (not sure of the spelling)...
  8. Sweet Tater

As for the stump it has been cut for several years now, however being oak it still isn't rotten. Removing is an issue mostly in cost. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow before we start the initial cleaning up. I am still in the planning faze of this sooo. Some one suggested using clematis and let it just grow all over the stump, eventually making it look like a big snow ball when in bloom.
    I am not a trained Landscaper so this is going to take a bit to get planned a right. Its not a HUGE job but will be lots of work and will let me see if I want to learn to landscape too. Thank you guys for being understanding of a dummy in this matter and helping out with the suggestions. I knew I could count on LS for understanding and information.
  9. Sweet Tater

Heres some pics of the property I'll be starting soon. Its an 1864 right downtown.
    The stump in question measures 2ft tall by 4ft across.
    In the 3rd pic at the bumper of my truck is a trash tree that is hiding the stump from the street side. I am planning of removing everything except the stump, rebuilding the border around it (which is a 15 ft half circle) then maybe planting clematis around the stump. comments and or suggestions.
    ps, the right side of the house as you look at the first pic is phase one, hope to start in a week.

10. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Get some pots with Ivy and drap them down the sides.

Maybe make a center piece out of it.