Planted two grass types, which is which

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by whitenack, Oct 25, 2007.

1. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

Planted tall fescue and annual ryegrass at the same time on a bare part in my front lawn a few weeks ago and I am having some good results. However, I want to know which is is the annual ryegrass and which is the tall fescue.

One is a lighter green, with a broad blade and is growing very good and thick.

The other is a darker, finer blade and is growing OK, but not as thick.

I assume the lighter green is the ryegrass, which was put down to provide quick establishment. Correct?

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

That is correct. The annual rye will look like heck for a while, but it will act as a 'nurse' grass to the fescue until it fully takes hold. Then it will die. The key is to gradually thicken the strength of the fescue turf in the meantime, so that weeds of other types won't take the place of the dying rye later.

Figure on aerating every fall, too. And when I say aerate, I mean the kind of aeration you can see from 1/2 block away! :waving:

3. whitenack

When you say thicken the strength of the fescue, do you mean re-seed, or fertilize, or something else?

4. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

do you have pics?

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

That means to do all the right things to make the lawn take off, and not to do the wrong things! Next spring, I'm guessing you'll be doing a crabgrass pre-emergent; so sowing more grass seed then will not be a good idea at all,as pre-emergent 'prevents' grass too.
    So, you'll probably need to reserve any more seeding ambitions for NEXT fall.

Some key advice for your lawn:
    1) Last mowing of fall, and 1st mowing of spring should be relatively short (not scalped).........2)Keep Blades Sharp 3) Increase height of mowing to 3- 3 1/2 " gradually as the temperature rises toward the summer 4) Never Ever Ever mow your lawn, if at all possible, during the 'heat' of the day! Particularly when the temps get between 80- 95 degrees (oh....THAT really P.O.'s the mowers, but........!) If you mow in the sun on a hot day, you're probably spreading disease around like BUTTER ON BREAD, particularly 'brown patch'! 5) Fescue only needs about 4 lbs of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft per year in this area. Tell your lawn care company you're getting no more than 5 applications per year, period! 6) Water requirements for fescue are deep, but infrequent, once it's established. And 7) Aerate Aerate Aerate Aerate every fall, when the soil is good and MOIST, until you're BLUE in the face! :cry: :waving:

6. whitenack

I can get pics.