Planter repair finally finished...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Oct 16, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Finally had the chance to catch up on some repairs that have been lingering for awhile. A few pics... and No we didn't wrap the galvanized. After all... we're unskilled sprinkler maintenance guys. We figure we'll both be long gone before it rusts out and then plumbers can redo it. :)

LJ Williams Valve LJ-2 Replacement 10-15-07 IV-01a.jpg

LJ Williams Valve LJ-2 Replacement 10-15-07 IV-02a.jpg

LJ Williams Valve LJ-2 Replacement 10-15-07 IV-03a.jpg

2. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Who makes those enclosures?

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I noticed that's a Hunter Pro ASV. I like the flow characteristics, the solenoid, the captured bonnet crews, etc.

What I've had trouble with is that the sockets appear to have less taper than others. In other words, PVC male adapters screw in until they bottom out, even with 5 or 6 wraps of Christy 3/4 Teflon tape.

I've had to go back and reinstall a couple of valves on three different jobs this past week.

I just noticed you're using galvanized risers.... do they bottom out too?

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Where do the valve wires go? No conduit thru the pad?:nono: :laugh:

5. I bet it ends up being a Hunter battery timer. Since i'm dinky pipe man what is that behind the valve? Some kinda QC?

6. Mike Leary

No clue..hate to see dissimilar metals tho. Hope Jon doesn't get the red line
    out!:cry:

7. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Brass and galvanized should not be an issue.

8. Mike Leary

Bulls..t:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: Diaelectric couplings were not made for nothing.

9. How are you doing your valves installs, PVC male adapter, toe nipple?

I got sick of tired and didn't like that Hunter said to use Spears fittings, so I now use slip versions that solved my problems. The only worry that I have is the use of too much solvent(even then, no biggie, just pop the bonnet off and clean). So far, no problems. As far as local supplier, the only reliable source has been J.D.L. Can get them through Horizon, but need to special order and Ewing, not sure about them.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe a water hammer arrestor?