Planting 60 7" tall Emerald Green Arborvitaes

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gilla Gorilla, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that asked me to give him an estamite on planting 60 Arborvitaes that are around 7 feet tall. They are all in a straight line on the top of a little hill. I will be renting a Toro Dingo with a auger bit for around $230.00 to dig the holes. My question is how long do you guys think that I will take with myself and one other person to dig the holes, put some soil amendment in, plant the trees, backfill the holes and stake them with two tree stakes. The only other thing that scares me about this is that I know that the deer will love the Arborvitae come late winter because his property backs up to some woods and he sees a 12 point buck back there a good bit.
    Is there anything else that grows in the 12 ft to 25 ft tall range that is deer tolerant. I was talking to a wholeseller today and he suggested the Green Giant Arborvitae and said that it grows about 25ft tall and about 8 ft wide. But I have done some reading on them and it looks like they get upwards of 40 to 50 ft tall. I know that it will actually be cheaper to go with a bigger growing specimen but it cant be more then 25 ft in mature height.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Gilla Gorilla

Bump. Anybody, Anybody got some answers?

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad and I planted 115 1 gallon Green Giant Arborvitaes about this time last year at his house. That sucked! It took about 20 hours to do those in fresh black dirt. He lives in deer country and they don't bother them. The GGA's are about waist high now. They grow fast and they are pretty cheap. I would go smaller cause they grow really fast. Screw the 60 gallon plants.

4. Gilla Gorilla

I would offer him the smaller GGA's but cannot find 25 of them between a couple of nursuries. The wholeseller that I can get the 7' tall gga's at does not have them any smaller. I think that the customer is looking for a more established look to help screen his home out from the road that it is close to.
    This house sticks out like a sore thumb from this street, house is well over 6000 sq ft for three floors and has a four car garage that side loads into the basement. I was going to quoted him $3,400.00 for the 25 GGA's planted. My cost on plants is just under $1850.00 with tax, abuot $250.00 for top soil tree stakes and stake wire, about $290.00 for the dingo rental for a day with the 36" auger bit and a set of forks to move the gga's. I figure that me and one other guy can get it done in less then a day.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you can do that. As long as you don't run into any problems with that 36" auger. I have used one that size and it was a PITA. Rocks are hell!

6. Gilla Gorilla

Yeah any rocks will throw some extra time and labor in there. Fortunately the area that will be getting these is like a 8 ft tall berm so to speak that was made back in the begining of the summer when the final grading was being done, so hopefully there is not a bunch of rocks and or concrete crap in there now. LOL

7. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

So two guys are going to plant 60 6-7' B & B arborvitae in one day?

Does that include time to pick up the plants and unload them from the truck, edge the bed, dispose of the debris on or off the site, stake (if neccesary), and mulch. Don't forget that things will NEVER go perfectly as planned.

If you can plant 60 in one day with two guys god bless you, I know I couldn't.

8. Gilla Gorilla

No there is a reason that I have not mentioned using my bed edger, sod cutter or anything like that. The customer does not want the additional cost of upkeeping a 180 ft long bed. He just wants them put in the ground on top of this little hill. I was planing on making a little bowl around each arb though.
    Oh yeah we are talking about planting 25 Green Giant Arborvitaes in the last couple of post.

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Price should be more along the lines of $4,700. At your low price if it takes you more than 1 day your selling yourself short.

10. Gilla Gorilla

I am going to see if he wants them guarunteed. If not then it will be $3400.00 if he wants them guarunteed then it will be around $4000.00
    Plus this guy is going to have me do his entire landscaping in the front of his house and on the sides. I forgot to mention that this guy spent 2.2 million on this house and the land only cost him around $300,000.00
    So I am trying to treat him okay because I know there will be alot more money coming from him. This guy has me drive by his house and blow off the front porch, front cul de sac both driveways and his patio that is over 60 ft long every friday so he does not have to see dirt or anything around the house on the weekends when he is home and it is light outside.