Planting a Blue Spruce

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by machine, Nov 20, 2000.

1. machine

machine LawnSite Member
    from OH

Is it to late to plant a 5-6' Blue Spruce. I'm am in Zone 6 and the tempature is around 30-40 degress in Mid November. The ground is not frozen yet. If this is not a good time, when is the best time to plant this tree? Also is a wholesale price of $125 too high?

2. STEVE HATFIELD

STEVE HATFIELD LawnSite Member

As long as the ground is not frozen , no problems!! Water real good at planting and every 10 days or so maybe three mor times. In my area, mid-west, 5ft. is $120.00 and 6ft. is $150.00....Installation is 60% 0f price. Customer price is usually 100% mark-up w/1yr. warranty.....

3. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

Ditto what Steve said (above post) AND look out for bag worms and other pests. They are a problem here in my area.

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Not a problem as long as the ground isnt frozen. Hey, if you dont plant it, the nursery will just heel it in til next spring then sell the same tree to you then!

5. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Plant the tree. Make your money while the ground is unfrozen. Fall is a great time to plant.