1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Planting and Caring for IILEX Crenata

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dejola, Oct 6, 2004.

1. dejola

dejola LawnSite Member

I wonder if anyone here can tell me which variety of ilex crenata is shown in the two attached photos?

Also, I want to plant seven of these crenata in a cedar planter box measuring 61 inches long x 18 inches wide x 26.5 inches high. The planter box was built by me and has drainage holes in the bottom. Can anyone suggest what components to fill the box with, e.g. type of soil, plant food, mulch? I will be using either 3/4 gravel or lava rocks to facilitate drainage.

Any advice?

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

it appears to be ilex crenata 'convexa' but its late and my eyes are killing me lol. maybe somebody else can confirm that too.
  3. thor

thor LawnSite Member

4. dejola

dejola LawnSite Member

Thanks Thor, and Matt. I'm not sure of the color fruit it has. I'll check and report back.

Thanks again. :)
  5. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

I would say Convexa. If you want to be certain, or match cultivars, then take a cutting to the nursery and compare it with stock.

Jim L
  6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Looks like Rotunda

Ilex cornuta Rotunda - if the berries are present they will be red
    5-7 marginal spines with 5 distinct lobes

Convexa - if the berries are present they will be black

Take it to a nursery or local extension to double check before buying new ones.

7. activelandscaping

Errr..... I'm pretty shure it's not " Rotunda " , see Rotunda link below.

Rotunda picture

Jim L
  8. activelandscaping

Hmmm..... I just took anouther look at that pic. Maybe it's just me, usually is, but those leaves look opposite to me. That would make your Holly a Boxwood ( Buxus sempervirens ), see link under ID features. Buxus link

Well anyhoot, time to hit the bricks. Best of luck to all. :)

Jim L
  9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

The first photo shows leaves so small, that it could hardly be anything other than 'Convexa' which I enjoy a lot, and have several of at home. I leave mine growing normal rather than sheared.