Planting B&B trees help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by buckmaster77, Aug 22, 2013.

1. buckmaster77

buckmaster77 LawnSite Member
    from FL

I have a question for a project we are working on. Most of my trees that we are planting supplied by our growers are container grown. We are doing a Job with 6" caliper trees and they are B&B trees with about a 40" root ball. I have a bobcat 328 mini ex. What do you guys think the estimated time to plant one of these trees. Also the soil is a sandy clay mix. Thanks in advance

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on the time spent getting them properly settled into the soil with adequate water and removal of air bubbles, burlap and particularily the wire...

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto.

Sometimes, when digging by hand, we can knock a tree out in 30 minutes tops with excellent soil conditions and adequate supply of water.

Then there are the times you run into horrible soil conditions, and the water has to be trucked in. Then those times take way longer.

As for your mini. If you are doing them yourself, then the mini comes in real handy. I do this when planting b and b's either by myself or have more than 3 trees to do.

If it's only a couple of trees and I have my helpers, I just have them loaded on the trailer and use my big wheeled dolly to move them around. Saves time loading and unloading the machine.

4. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe after four days since posting you are no longer looking at this thread, but I am curious how you are going to dig the 5-foot diameter holes you will need? Your method will be a factor in how long it takes. From your post, it sounded as if you already have the job. If so, how much time did you estimate?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013