1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Planting Bermuda this late and this hot?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Choctaw Scalper, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Choctaw Scalper

Choctaw Scalper LawnSite Member

Anyone have any recommendations on planting Bermuda this late and this hot. I was going to keep the sprinklers cycling every 2 hours 10 min a zone with a good fertilizer base. Any help would be great a customer just demands bermuda. I just hate to plant and it all die. Thanks
  2. Choctaw Scalper

No one has a good opinion
  3. jmh72

jmh72 LawnSite Member

I did some 419 about 3 weeks ago down near Ft Worth and ran the system 2x a day, 30 min per time (Rotors with good coverage). Got a few small bad spots where coverage wasn't great, but overall I am happy with it considering the temps the last few weeks. Just make sure you have good coverage or it won't take.
  4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

The hotter the better.The bermuda will germinate faster in high soil temps.
    Just apply the seed a little heavy and you'll be fine.You won't get a full lawn,but next year,the lawn will do great when it warms up.
  5. Choctaw Scalper

I just hate to waste money. Especially when it is mine.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Here in NC, we usually don't seed bermuda after mid-July but you guys are probably hotter than us. Like Nick said, I wouldn't be too concerned with the heat, but with the timing. If it were me, I'd keep the phosphorous rates high, but cut back on the nitrogen. I know you usually don't say that with bermuda but the last thing you want is active growing young bermuda when the frosts start to hit. Maybe use quick release fertilizers now instead of slow-release. Good Luck. :)