Planting Boxwoods at this time of year???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gilla Gorilla, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that is interested in having me plant around 100 Winter Gem Boxwoods this next week. I will be cutting out the sod with the sod cutter, tilling the soil and digging the holes, using planting soil and then mulching the new bed. He is concerned that it is going to be fairly cold next week, he said only in the 40's for the highs. Do you all think this will be a problem with them surviving and starting to grow next season. I thought that If you got them in the ground before the ground froze then they would be fine.

Any suggestions would be great,

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You should be fine as long as you can find quality stock at this time of year.
    The planting time is fine,it's the quality of nursery stock that is the limiting factor at this point.
  3. Gilla Gorilla

I got hooked up with a wholesale nursery and the guy is great when it comes to prices. He told me these winter gem's are in 3 gallon pots at 18 inches high and will let me have them for 12 bucks a piece and he has 200 of them on his farm and 130 of the winter green boxwoods in the same size and price. I told the customer today $21 with tax just for the 100 plants plus labor and other materials. He wants me to see if the guy will go lower due to the quantity needed, so I figure I will tell him the guy will come down to $18.90 with tax. I will still be making $630.00 on mark up and going to get the plants. I try to keep the mark up resonable on this guy due to I have gotten a lot of work from him already and will continue to all of next year.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Check the root growth and health, if they look healthy you shouldn't have a problem.
  5. Gilla Gorilla

Sounds good, Thanks
  6. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

You can plant as long as the ground isn't frozen, but the issue is as stated. Finding qaulity stock to plant
  7. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Inspect the plants carefully before buying.
    Buxus microphylla ( winter gem's)
    Problem-Boxwood leafminer: :blob3:

Look for these symptoms when picking out your plants.
    The larval feeding between the upper and lower leaves causes blistering and
    often discoloration.

Over-winter The partly grown larvae of the boxwood leafminer over-winter
    within their mines in the leaves of the host plant.
    Spring The larvae grow rapidly as the weather begins to warm. In late April,
    when weigela blooms, they turn into orange-colored pupae and emerge as a
    fly. After mating, the female inserts her eggs deep into the leaf tissue. She
    dies soon after and the eggs hatch approximately 3 weeks later, and the
    larvae commence feeding.

Both littleleaf boxwood, Buxus microphylla and Common Boxwood,
    Buxus sempervivens are commonly attacked, but there is resistance
    found in individual varieties of both species.

Common boxwood cultivars
    with reported resistance are ‘Handworthiensis’, ‘Pyramidalis’, ‘Suffruticosa’
    and ‘Varder Valley’. Buxus microphylla var. japonica has also exhibited
    resistance to the boxwood leafminer.

Planting now should not be a problem,water them in and monitor over the winter.

8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

My biggest concern, other than quality stock which goes without saying, is the time of year because they are broad leaf evergreens. What sometimes happens when you plant them late into the fall is that they have a hard time getting water out of the surrounding soil. That is because it takes a while for the root ball and surrounding soil to get enough contact for cappilary water movement.
    Broadleaf evergreens, like boxwood, lose moisture through the leaves all winter. Without a way to replenish that, they can runinto difficulties. At this time of year the boxwood is not going to shoot roots outside of its root ball in a big hurry. Chances are that they will not be watered a few times a week for the next several weeks because people think it is silly, or it has rained, or the hose is frozen. The watering at this time is more important for getting out the air voids and making contact between the ball and other soil rather than the water demands of the plant.
    You may have noticed, or experienced the loss of only the broad leafed evergreens (yews, rhododendrons, andromeda, azalea, holly,...) in some late season plantings. This happens mostly when it jumps from warm to cold very quickly.
    I would proceed with the planting stipulating that you must have access to water and be paid to water it twice a week for the next three weeks in order to gauranty it. Use Wilt-Pruf or some other antidesicant as well.
  9. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Still doing plant installs full bore after our hardscape installs....Just finished in Woodbridge, Great Falls, and Vienna. Another one next week in Marshall. Amend the soil well with pine fines, plant high, mulch well, and spray with the wilt-pruf. Water well, don't count on God helping you out. Keep moisture up untill we freeze. With the prices you are quoting, don't let the client hold you up on a warranty due to being late in the season. $30-35 each would be a good commercial rate for the install of these boxwoods. Good Luck
  10. Gilla Gorilla

Thanks Treedoc. So you are saying to charge $30 to $35 per plant including installation?

Thanks agian