Planting bushes.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Green Acres, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

How much would you guys charge for 10 yews? Also how much would charge for an installation like this? The ground will probably be half dirt half rock. Any insight you have on this will help greatly. Thanks

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what size r the yews. is the ground so hard u need a pic, or is it workable?

3. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

The ground will have some rocks in it that you will have to pull out but that's about it. Not really sure how big the yews are. I think he said in 20 pound balls. Not sure. I don't know to much about landscaping I mostly do lawn care.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

20 lb balls? we usually go by height: 18-24", 24-30" etc. ill just give an example of what i charge. a 24"yew runs me about $24. as long as there is no prep work, just dig a hole and plant it, if the soil is kinda bad, i usually add a couple handfull of peat, i would charge about $50 per yew up to 3, if u r planting more, i would charge $48 each. hope this helps.BOB

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Plant material is listed by size like height of plants 18"-24",3'-4' ornamentals listed by height 6'-8', 8'-10', or tree caliper 2.5", 3", 3.5" Large evergreens by height, 5', 6', 7'
    some times it is given in pot sizes 1 gallon, 2 gallon, 5 gallon. most 5 gallon material will also be given in size or height. smaller plants like ground cover are sold in flats or peat pots, 2",2.5", 3" 4" .5 gallon.

For your pricing think how long it will take you for pick up of material, cost of plants and time it takes to install, then add your profit to it. small jobs like this are hard to figure if you want to make money on them.

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

yes, in order to make decent money, prices of small jobs like this tend to be high. The problem is, that whether its 10 yews, or 50 yews, the fixed costs are about the same.

You still have to go to the nursery, still have to get top soil/soil amendments, still have to pay the crew to drive back and forth to the site, maybe have to have a piece of equipment tied up for a couple of hours, etc. etc. In essence, the actual time spent to plant 10 compared to 50 is not very different, maybe only a few hours or two difference for a lot of guys.

Whatever your price is, people will ask you 'isn't this a little expensive for 10 plants?" And your answer should be 'NO'. In order for jobs like this to be profitable, you have to charge it out properly. Its jobs like this that eat away profits over the long run.

steveair