Planting Design under immature Maples

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimmyStew, May 25, 2008.

1. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I'm working on a design for a client the will be a mixed shrub border along a 150'+ fence-line. The kicker is, there will be 5 red maples spaced along the fence. So I need to use shrubs that will tolerate the relatively dense shade the trees will eventually create. Problem is, most plants that will tolerate that shade will not tolerate the full sun that they will get for the next few years until the trees get more mature. The plan will call for using 2.5"-3" cal. trees. Any suggestions on dealing with this?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Red Maples are not going to establish and take off quickly enough to 'shade out' sunny bushes any time soon. Select the shrubs from the 'sunny to partial shade' category.

Remember the sun comes in at an angle, and sunny plants do better in the shade, than shade plants do in the sun.

3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Sort of common-place, but azaleas can handle sun or shade.

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Like MDV said, most broadleaf evergreens do well in the sun and will tolerate shade. Holly, Rhododendron, azalea, euonymus, cherry laurel, skimmia, ...

Hydrangeas are good and have good summer color.

The biggest problem down the road will be the surface roots from the maples.

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

This man knows of what he speaks, and should be given comensurate weight as far as his advice goes. Spot on. The maple roots can kill a shrub at 40 feet, unless it's fed regularly and waterd regularly as well. Anything near the drip line is in danger. Maple are table slobs, and will drain soil of moisture and nutrients like John Belushi at a food fight.

Educate the customer on these issues, and upsell shrub feedings and the like. If I run into objections on those sort of "extras", I tell them to Google on the subject. A Google search will support this. I love to say... "I have no secrets.... just Google it." Works every time.