planting existing yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gwoods, Jul 18, 2002.

1. gwoods

gwoods LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

in may i killed, tilled, leveled, put starter fert and seeder with fesque now the cust has brown grass and crabgrass what did i do wrong?? i have to redo the yard for free now and i could use some know how.

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I never heard of fesque what did you kill the old lawn with and how soon after did you put down the seeds
    [​IMG]

3. gwoods

gwoods LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

with round up, i planted about 3 weeks after it was all brown.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

my opinion u planted the wrong time o the yr. i dont have much confidence in spring planting. for me unless circumstances just demand spring planting,im gonna do it in the fall.
    around here if anyone planted grass this spring ,they had better have installed a watering system.good luck

5. gwoods

gwoods LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

this was my first time to seed a yard wasn't sure if i did it right. i went off of a co workers suggestions. what is the right time to plant fesque in the fall and what is the correct way to prepare the soil

6. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Your procedure sounds fine. One thing you should have done was a soil test. They are cheap and will tell you everything about the soil. Your problem was timing. When sowing fescue, fall is the best time of the year. It allows the roots to develop before the blistering heat sets in. There is no way I could sow a fescue lawn here in the summer. Spring is only an option for thin spots. Best option is to tell the owner you will re-do in Oct. or early Nov. depending on weather conditions. When fall roles around, do a soil test and make appropriate corrections. Then aerate and seed. You should have better luck.

7. gwoods

gwoods LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

so i dont need to go back and kill again and start over?? what do i do on the crabgrass if i aerate?

8. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

It's difficult to answer your questions without seeing the lawn. Did the fescue germinate at first and then go brown? Did you get good germination? Maybe the fescue is dormant due to heat stress and or dehydration. If this is the case, it should green up again in the fall providing it gets sufficient water. If this is just dormant fescue, then You shouldn't have to start from scratch. In the case of a thin fescue lawn, I would aerate the pee out of it, and reseed. Put down a good starter fert, and cover with wheat straw. Do a soil test before hand, and add ammendments before you aerate, to get them down into the soil where they belong. water twice per day if possible to keep the seed from drying out completly.
    Give us some more information. You didn't do anything wrong technically. Your timing wasn't the best for establishing a fescue lawn. If a client insists that I renovate a lawn in the spring, I let them know up front that the optimum time for establshment is early fall. As far as crabgrass, treat it now. Drive is a good product.
    Bill Craig!

9. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

Does he have irrigation??? That is my gaurantee. Do it in the fall. Good luck

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

another problem with drought is the wire grass ,ivy and such seem to thrive. u may have go back and rekill it if the crabgrass has got a good foothold.
    as to best methods . that from what i hear is the hydroseeder . some say the results are outstanding. otherwise just aereate and break up the top soil .rake the seed in. and hope the rain comes right.
    with any luck u get a fair stand with starter fertilizer. it will toughen up over the winter. then a good low quantity jumper fertilizer early spring ,followed by a slow release a little later . this is just my method. i didnt mention this ,but use plenty of straw and seed . thats not the place to save money.if nature treats u half way decent and the soil and location are good ,u stand a good chance of having a good start.. good luck.