1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Planting flower bulbs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lech615, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

A condo complex I mow wants flower bulbs palnted in their beds. I figure I will need about 1800 bulbs to complete the job. This will allow for flowers from early spring through early summer. I am not sure how to price the job. Any suggestions?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I get a buck a bulb for tulips, daffs, and hyacinths. 1/2 a buck for snowdrops, grape hyacinths, etc. 1800 bulbs should take 3-4 hrs with a bulb drill.
  3. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Definitly use a bulb drill. They are the cats a**. One guy drills the holes, the other drops in the bulbs and fills.
  4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

For consistent results, place a piece of masking tape on the drill bit at the depth you want, so that when you are making multiple holes, they stay all the same. Makes for a better emergence!
  5. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone know where i can buy a bulb drill? Is there a website? Last week,i planted 300 tulip bulbs.I rented a large bit for 6 bucks for the day.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have 2 of them. Home Depot and Sears sells them for around $20. It is 3 inches in diameter.
  7. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Bob
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have 2 of the red augers ( 3 incher's) and the silver one is great for planting annuals.

9. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

how far apart do you all plant the bulbs?
  10. aquablue16

aquablue16 LawnSite Member

It usually says on the box or bag what is the recommended spacing.