planting grass seed on a hill

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Apr 8, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i know its not likely to be able to plant grass seed on a hill, or slope where the seed keeps washing away. ive been thinking about trying it, then covering the area with a clear plastic tarp, with some holes poked in it. what do u folks think? any ideas would be appreciated. BOB

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

3. ok. you may wanna go with a burlap type fabric. something very loosley knit. they have special ones you can buy to retain the seeds and what not. should work for you

4. Kansas Turf Man

Kansas Turf Man LawnSite Member

Sod it to start with. With seed you will end up re-seeding or over-seeding a lawn that will be a headache for a long time. Save your Time and Money

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

with erosion control nettings they have now you can get seed to grow with out wash out.

6. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

There are so many products that will help. I don't know where you buy your seed but if its through a wholesaler or nursey they should be able to get you something. I do this a couple of ways. Look for a product called a Futerra blanket and get some landscape staples. Robex makes a straw blanket that like Futerra rolls out and stakes down. Nice heavy DOT type unit.Last we like to use good old straw. Cost effective and effective. Good Luck!

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

did the job today, used a burlap type fabric that came in a roll, see what happens, thanks for all your help

8. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

I know you already completed the job, but for future reference hydro seeding banks or hills is a lot easier and they have materials that can be added in the mix that when they are sprayed they form a erosion control blanket on the ground. Most of the time you will also get a quiker germination with hydroseeding with helps with preventing washout. I am not saying you won't have any, but less than some other methods.