Planting Grass Where There Was A Pine Tree

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JABBERS, Jul 3, 2008.

1. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have never done this before (planting where pine trees were growing)so I want to make sure it comes up and grows properly. I was going to spray the site to kill some weeds. Rake all of the pine cones and debris from the area. The next step I was going to do was to use some pellitized lime, grass seed and some 12-12-12 fertilizer. Roll the area and put straw down. Is there anything wrong with this game plan? Thanks

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Do you need lime? Are the root chips from the grindings gone? Is the soil sandy or clay? Hot sun now that the trees are gone? Irrigation on site?

It is July and the idea of throwing out fert and seed is past. Special considerations need to be taken.

3. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Stumps are still there, they are only 10 - 12" in diameter, probably clay soil with some top soil on top, and no irrigation.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

So you are just going to plant around the stumps? It doesn't matter in that they will rot and you can mow over the top of them.
    I would seed only as much as your sprinkler can cover without moving it around and run it at least twice a day maybe 3 times, if afternoon sun is intense. Grass isn't going to use fertilizer for a while. Most of the N will have leached or evaporated b4 it will be used.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You might have some acidity issues from the pine needles. Might want to think about a soil test before you get into it. Might save some headaches in the long run. That and you will know exactly how much of what to put down.

6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Its a good start. Don't over analyize the situation. You have covered the basics.