Planting Honey Locust in Fall?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by BlazerRidge, Nov 3, 2011.

1. BlazerRidge

BlazerRidge LawnSite Member

I have a customer that is wanting a Honey locust planted now. I've tried to talk her out of it because I think it is a little to late to be planting now. We have had frosts for the past 4 days straight. If she won't wait then I'm going to make sure the tree has dropped all of its leaves and then plant it and make sure it is well mulched. Any other suggestions or tips? Also I'm in zone 6B

2. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

why are you worried about planting it now
    It's the best time to do it.we plant until the ground is frozen
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. plant away.

4. BlazerRidge

We are getting some pretty good freezes and I wasn't sure how a young tree would handle that.

5. BlazerRidge

Sugar maple good to go also?

6. anyone of them is.

7. Leo the Landscaper

Leo the Landscaper LawnSite Member

I suggest you leave the planting to someone else, based on the lack of knowledge you have displayed in your post. Please, do not take offence to this but you seem to lack some very basic information regarding planting.

8. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

I have planted several trees in that area this time of year and had good luck with each of them. I have a friend that lives outside Knoxville that I visit this time of year and we do all sorts of work like trees, shrubs, etc. Plant away.

9. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

When it comes to planting tree's, the colder it is the better the chance of a tree's survival. Newly planted tree's need a lot of water, even in winter.

10. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same thought intitially too.

But this guy has to learn too.

This is an IDEAL time to plants trees. Some would suggest that certain trees like buckeye trees, magnolias etc with fleshy roots do better with spring planting.

Either way Blazer, take the time to read and educate yourself with tree and shrub planting. It WILL be well worth your while.