planting ideas for this job??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JML, Sep 4, 2003.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

I am having a huge problem thinking of what to put on the side of this building. I haven't done any design work in months, and my head hurts just looking at it? Any ideas...
    He wants to keep it as low cost as possible. I was thinking a hedge, but what should I put in for some height? The planting area is roughly about three feet wide... Thanks

left2.jpg

2. JML

the other half.

right2.jpg

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

What is the exposure? If it's not a northern exposure, I'd go with Anthony Waterer Spirea broken up every now and then with a Skyrocket or Wichita Blue juniper.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

What about some tall grasses with other perennials in between?
    Looking for height all along or just to offset?

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I would do Emerald Green Arborvitae at the columns

Yew Densiformous in between.

Liriope under the window towards the front.

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I like that "at the columns" idea, but for the earlier suggested Wichita Blue Juniper.

Blue on red is a great pair of colors.

Maybe use Moonglow Juniper, it can be 1/2 the price of Wichita.

The Moonglow should be sheared at least once per year, twice is better to prolong its existence in the space to maybe 2 to 3 decades.

There's a photo of a sheared Moonglow on my pruning page at www.mdvaden.com

In between, I'd either go with Emerald Arborvitae, sheared at 4' maximum height, or vacate winter foliage between columns and plant:

Pennisetum alopecuroides (several varieties) - Fountain Grass

7. JML

I was thinking about the arbs and the liriope, you re inforced my decision on using it. I like the idea of the hedge. Was thinking about maybe like a holly that gets berries.. What could I use to add a little height other than the arbs.. Think a small magnolia would look good? Thanks again guys...

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

You don't have much space. Magnolia is out. Remember your in a parking lot. Plantings are basic and simple with hassle free plant material.

The Wichita's have been problematic in our neck of the woods. The color contrast is nice though. Junipers would be double the cost of the Arborvitaes.

Or if you need more height from the hedge then Hicks yews

9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I would try to go with skyrocket junipers and white indian hawthorns in between. Cant get anymore low maintenance than those.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Glan - what's the problem with wichita's out your way? Ours here are just beautiful, and hardly anyone uses them. Highly underrated juniper, if you ask me.