planting in stone question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Qualey, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

We are currently building an Old Chester granite wall which is 90' in length, 4' wide and 3' tall. To cut down on material the center section is constructed of mortared 7-9" rip rap (it is a free standing wall). The customer just asked if we can plant ivy in the top of the wall between the cappings. I've never done this before. What concerns me is adding soil, or any substance that will retain moisture, in this climate and possibly cause shifting. Any suggestions?

Matt

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I think your correct in worrying about the shifting of the wall as the Ivy matures. However, there is also the posibility that has the Ivy developes in penetrates other crevises and just may actualy hold the wall together as if the wall has a net around it.

I have planted into walls, never Ivy though. We have put annuals such as Alysum and Vines such as Vinca.

My pond has some wall rock raised along the back and actualy have Ostrich Fern growing out of it.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple of factors to consider. First, providing a hospitable planting area by providing drainage and adequate soil for the plants to thrive. Second, damage potential---people are normally advised to not plant ivy on mortared surfaces due to the damage that their sticky feet do to all types of surfaces. Other trailing plants would be a better choice.

4. GreginAlaska

GreginAlaska Banned

Should he be worried about the damp soil swelling up when it freezes in Maine? Could that cause damage?

I think I would be worried about it.