Planting in this heat

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by shovelracer, Jun 8, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

So here we are in north NJ in early June and it is already 95*. I have a lot of 60 shrubs that have to go in tomorrow. It is supposed to be 95 again. Normally I wouldnt plant in this but it has to be done. Half of the area is shade till about 1 pm and the rest is full sun. I am picking up a large tent today to put over the sun area to eliminate some stress. Obviously water is going to be our friend. We are going to start 6:30-7 and work till it seems to be dangerous for the plants, then we will pick it up in the afternoon and work till dark. Shrubs are cypress, barberry, spirea, Mt. Laurel, junipers, mugo pines, 20 perenials, cotoneasters, and a laceleaf, etc. Any suggestions for the plants. How long to keep the tent up for, etc. Delaying is not really an option more than a day for scheduling reasons for us and them.
  2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would run a drip system around the plants and keep it going. According to my irrigation guy its the most efficient and best way to keep plants watered.
  3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto. I do not warranty plants unless they are irrigated by drip irrigation installed by my irrigation sub.

I dig the hole and put the plants in and the irrigation techs go right behind me with the drip.
  4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

either water properly or tell them tough luck especially with the heat and warm winds it is really drying things out.
  5. shovelracer

There is some good money in this job so Ill stop by almost everyday since Im in the area. They are fully aware of the watering issues and if they dont the warranty specifically addresses that. My concern was related to the plants being over stressed due to the heat. Im sure they will be much happier once they are in the ground and it cools off later in the week.
  6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

G'luck tomorrow. (95 degrees) I spent 8 hours yesterday cutting out, preparing new beds with topsoil and irrigation lines. Suppose to install shrubs tomorrow. Was 101 yesterday, full sun.... we got baked... literally. The bugs, gnats were so bad we sprayed ourselves with OFF.... all we could find. It was like spraying PAM on ourselves... arms and foreheads felt like they were on fire.

It's only June and I'm over the heat.
  7. shovelracer

I'll be at the site at 630. Once again Ive been screwed by my help. Apparently the 2 new kids I found the other day each have a problem working in this heat. I do have one worker that is expected to show, but if I where to bet on it Id guess that they wont be on time. Looks like Im working 14 hours tomorrow. Only 2 more than my normal 12 though.
  8. lostmdboy

lostmdboy LawnSite Member

I know where you are at. I quit today planting, and will start again early in the morning. I too have to get this job done. We have been working on it since early spring. (waiting on the nursery for the most part)
  9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

go rent a toro dingo w/ auger and tell the help to pound salt...

10. shovelracer

Well it was really hot today. I was there at 6:30, my last employee called out at 7, but sent his 21 yr old daughter in his place. All I have to say is women make far better plant installers than any guy Ive ever had under my employment. After some basic training she was able to keep up and do it properly to boot. We ( really I )are 99% done, I have to go back in the morning with 3 plants that will be in tomorrow morning after they sold my first ones on me. The guy that called out was fired and to boot I paid his daughter his wage X 1.5 just to get him going. looks like Im back to solo, but it is OK cause all my work for the next 6 weeks is 90% skid steer work.