1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

planting in winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 20, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

can you plant in winter. i say you can, and in fact i did, just yesterday.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I believe when planting azaleas in cold climates early spring transplanting is recommended... that's the best time to transplant those.
    In cold climates they should be planted before winter to keep the roots from dying from extremely cold temperatures. Anyone else agree with this?
    btw Gedd, I been meaning to ask you: Where did you find azaleas this time of year?? ;)
  3. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

What did you plant?

B & B or Container?

When was it dug?

How is this winter going to be, mild or cold?

To answer your question, sometimes yes and sometimes no. Mother nature will let you know next spring. I hope they weren't arborvitae or purple leaf plums.
  4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

At the golf course we planted everythign in the frezing winter. and it always worked. I used to laugh sometimes the b/b trees would freeze up out of th eground and we would have to replant them. Those drunks would get in a hurry and toward the end of the day they would dig shallow holes. They always fixed it. But hell yeah plant it all cold or not. If they'll pay you then I say do it.
  5. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Come on man, can you plant what?....
  6. bobbygedd

from NJ

yews, liriope, azealeas
  7. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

You really mean transplant right Bobby? As there is quite a rigimarol to planting Yew and azealeas from seeds, don't even know what that other one was, at least in th NW. Jap Maples are quite an ordeal to plant from seed too but can be done, not that that helps ya....
  8. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

who mentioned seeds? I plant as long as the ground is not frozen...
  9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

same here... i have a ice little job coming up in January. about 15 5 gallon plants and a Blue atlas cedar.. a nice one that's all twisted.

the only draw back i've had with planting this late is finding decent stock at a nursery, and the way deciduous plants look after planting. like an exspensive red maple doesn't look so elegant in February.

I also have trim jobs lined up for january.
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

adam, i have a wholesale nursery that has top rate stuff, at rock bottom prices, oper all year round. just incase you're interested. his stuff is always nice