1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

planting on top of a building II (building planter boxes)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fga, May 11, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have to build some planter boxes, roughly 4'x2'..16"-24" high.

is cedar the only wood i can get away with building this? or do they pressure treat 1" by's.
    i'd rather not go with the PT cuz i want to stain them before i put the plants in.
    also, they are going to use one of the boxes for vegetables, is an untreated wood a must?
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on how long you want them to last.I hate to saw the forbidden word but how bout "Redwood"?that and Cedar or pressure treated is all you should use.You can get a better deal if you buy unplaned wood a fraction of what planed wood is.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

As far as planting stuff your going to eat in pressure treated wood.That's a nono.The chemical they use has been found to leach into the soil and contaminate the vegi's.BUT
    here's one idea..go look for one of those horse or cattle water troughs that are made of the heavy duty outdoor plastic or pvc and drill holes in bottom and use for the vegi planting bed.They come in all kinds of colors and sizes and are sold at most feed stores.
    They are a bit expensive but will last your client forever and ever and are safe for food planting.
  4. east sooke man

east sooke man LawnSite Member

another product to consider is recycled plastic lumber. It comes in one by and two by dimesions the only drawback I have found is thatit has more flex on the lenth than wood, but more bracing will solve that. It cuts and screws just like wood and lasts forever, as far as it being food grade I'm not sure but the retailer should be able to tell you.
  5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

just a side-note to sheshovels post ... you can buy arsenic free PT if you are doing vegetable gardens.
  6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Also, do not overlook a container within a container, if you need the outsides of the planters to all look the same. This would allow you to have any material or look to the outside and plant safe materials to the inside, even if you wanted to do buckets with gravel or crushed terracotta between. this can also give you the ability to quick change the planters. my two cents