Planting seed in windy area...

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by thackerlawncare, Apr 9, 2010.

1. thackerlawncare

thackerlawncare LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I added topsoil to a low spot in a customers yard and threw down some seed and straw. The area is in a very open spot that gets a lot of wind. The seed didn't take at all, and I'm assuming it blew away because the straw was all over the yard. Any ideas on what I could do to give the seed a better chance of germinating, or do I just need to put down some sod? Any help??

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

penn mulch, works like a charm. costs me about $16 per 50 lb bag

3. Stonewellmark

Stonewellmark LawnSite Member

HYDRO+SEED it using tackifier, if ya cant get that done then use the Penn-Mulch, it works.

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

you can get a futerra or straw blanket that would work great as well, mulch better than penn mulch imo...

5. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Put down the seed, rake it in and water, and keep moist. I doubt Wet straw should blow away, but Pennmulch is heavy if you want to use that.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have seen straw blow away when wet, plus it is crap to use adding weed seeds to the mix and it does not decay well being composed mostly of lignen.

you cant go wrong using penn mulch man, it even has a dose of nutrients and it swells up to cover better(as it is pellets dry) and i have used it on hillsides and it has not moved an inch thru several absolute downpours.

7. AintNoFun

wet straw will eventually dry and blow away though...

8. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

When you sow Grass seed, you should keep it moist, while it germinates, watering a few times a day = keeping the straw damp.

9. a straw crimper works great.

10. AintNoFun

he said the straw blew away originially so obviously they didnt...