Planting Tree Costs? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tim Wright, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my first time on such an estimate ----I have been asked for an estimate on planting 50 trees as a buffer zone. I have a few questions, and also what I think the cost are and might be.

Please tell me if I am close or out of my mind.

The questions first.

How long would it generally take you to plant 50 1 1/2 to 2ft tall trees 15 ft apart in a straight line or staggered?

Do you think the trees would survive an average winter being the season we are in? And do you think I should doubt the cost of the trees and gaurantee them for a year, or trust that they will not get wipped out this winter?

Any other thoughts?

OK, here are some figures that I am thinking, The cost of the trees are as quoted to me for 50, as well as the composted bedding soil. Everything else is estimated by me. Do you think I am close or off.

Thank you,

Cost

Potted Tree’s 1 ½ - 2ft,

White Pine or 50ea. @ $18.00 = $900.00 tax $54.00

3 Yrds of Sifted Bedding Soil W/Compost $45.00

Shipping/Transportation of Trees and Dirt $100.00 (30miles)

Labor Schedule and Cost

1 Minutes - for Line and Tree Placement
    3 Hours - for Holes With Tractor & Post Hole Digger
    6 Hours - for Planting

Labor 10 hrs@ $65.00 = $650.00

Sub W/ No Guarantee on Trees $1,749.00 tx $149.88 = $1,898.88
    With Guarantee $3,123.88

Thank you,

Tim

2. Wilandscape

Wilandscape LawnSite Member

"Sub W/ No Guarantee on Trees $1,749.00 tx $149.88 = $1,898.88
    With Guarantee $3,123.88"

I think the 1898.88 is fair to a little over, but not so far as to where someone should complain. I think the kicker is if I were the customer, what benefit would it be for me to take the guarantee if it costs more than a replacement. The way you estimated (1225.00 more) all the trees would have to die in order for the guarantee to be worth it. I do more construction than plantings but an extended warranty is usually about 25% of the job for me. I would look at adding 600 to 900 ( which is the cost of 50 more trees) for the guarantee. This would bring it to 2498.88 or 2798.88 -- Just my 2 cents.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

White Pine or 50ea. @ $18.00 = $900.00tax $54.00
    No mark up on your tree's?

3 Yrds of Sifted Bedding Soil W/Compost $45.00
    Need that much? What is this anyway? Trees should not be over amended or planted in holes filled with sifted soil that is not well mixed with native soil, and Pines like sandy well drained soil
    [
    1 Minutes - for Line and Tree Placement
    What's this and why is it in your estimate?
    3 Hours - for Holes With Tractor & Post Hole Digger
    You sure about this? Are you charging for the 3 hours tractor time or what? Where do you get three hours here?
    6 Hours - for Planting
    Hummmmmmmm
    Sub W/ No Guarantee on Trees $1,749.00 tx $149.88 = $1,898.88
    Forget that !
    With Guarantee $3,123.88

Me thinks you need to rework and rethink this job.

4. Tim Wright

Thank you both for your replies and tips!

Sheshovel -
    Yes I need to mark up the trees. I Zoned that out.

1 Minute = typo, should be one hour.

I am not sure how long to estimate for labor, and I guess I should have posed the question in that way.

So from there, How long do you think it would take you to mark the area, dig the holes and set the trees?

I am thinking that I will use the tractor with post hole auger, which is where the tractor comes in, or what you just use a spade for such small trees?

Thank you again.

Tim

5. sheshovel

I would fiqure 15 min a tree, that incudes setting them out in staggerd formation and hand digging good planting hole, with some amendment mixed with the native soil. $750 to $1000.00 labor
    at 15.00 or 20.00 a tree.by the way, most don't use $ signs in estimates, I use a $ sign only on the total amount.
    For 50 tree's that small I think bringing ina tractor w/ and auger is overkill. The auger tends to go too deep and not wide enough. Think wide amended native soil and not deep holes with tree's. They should sit on firmed soil, rootballs level with the surrounding soil. I suggest you read up at this website www.treesaregood.com before you plant.

6. Tim Wright

Sheshovel,

Thank you bunches!

Tim

7. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

$18 for 1-2' White Pine? I think I'd look into another supplier or two. If you need some reputable nurseries, let me know. I'm not too far from you. BTW, I've got about 100 or so Leyland Cypress (3 gal, 3-4') for $17.00 each. I can work with you on that price a little if you can use them.

8. Tim Wright

Any info would be helpful Mark.

Perhaps email and/or then phone would be best for your trees.

I could work up an seperate estimates for both yours and the other trees based on the size desired. I was told that the trees did not have to be large and that they can grow. We just do not want anyone running over them with a brush hog.

Tim

9. sheshovel

Correct it is better to plant Pines when small. They have a fragile tap root that must not be broken when planting so it's best to plant them when the tap root is still developing.
    3 gal is a better choice than 1 gal or 5 gal.

10. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Leyland Cypress pic

Leyland Cypress pic.JPG