Planting Trees and Plant More Profitable then Lawn Maint? (Mowing) FLorida

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vaulta, Mar 15, 2007.

1. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

was wondering if installing plants and trees are more profitable in Florida then doing regular lawn care? (Mow,blow.etc
    I live in Florida and thiers this big craze about tropical trees plants, someone told me this. Said hes making way more money off tropical plants trees here in florida. thanx

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Probably more profitable. Tree planting is more money here also.
    I think there is more profit to be made when there are fewer people doing different services. There are more lcos than tree planters.

:)

3. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Yea thats what I have been thinking about, thier are so many Lco's around here it's crazy. But its easy too get work down here, some guy I was taklking too said he is making a ton of money planting trees and plants, he stoped mowing.

4. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Way more money in design and install.You need to know alot more to do a great job though.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Also harder to get jobs to keep workers working in landscape compared to lawn maintenance. I guess you have to make enough on jobs to pay workers between jobs.

6. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

It's tuff if your small.I do most of my installs on the weekend or winter.This is the time of year for that kind of work.Last year I had one every week for the first few months of warmth.Thats the money I use to pay for all my new lawn toys.

7. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Not in Fl, but in Texas I think the gross margins are generally higher - but it is a tradeoff. You are talking about recurring revenue (maintenance) vs a one time pop (landscape). Let's face it, after you landscape a residence that's pretty much it, then you have to make sure you have another project lined-up.

I started with maintenance and used small landscape projects to fill in the non-mowing days and weekends. This quickly became unworkable as the size of our landscape projects and complexity grew quickly - so then you have to form a landscape only crew. To keep em busy you are talking about quite a bit of meeting with clients, design work and lengthy bidding. Plus there is a great deal of supervision and materials orchestration required.

If you are just starting out, I would suggest you build up the maintenance side of your business first. First, it is a lot easier to manage. Later, it will create a landscape work pipeline for you, provide you with cashflow to undertake these projects and help absorb some downtime costs with your landscape crew(s).

Personally, another benefit to the maintenance side of the business is that the repeat revenue stream - will be the one thing that adds the most value to your business if you decide to sell it.

8. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

lots of good answers here. also take into consideration you have to buy more tools on top of the lawn equipment you already have. bigger trailers, bigger trucks to pull the bigger trailers, augers, expensive specialty shovels, landscape rakes......all the tools you cant just go to home depot to buy. plus you cant just go to the nursery and pickup any plant you actually have to know plants like are they sun/shade/part, soil type, hardiness, color, potential growth........etc.

good luck and do lots of research

9. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

I am talking about getting out of lawn mowing and going full time on planting and trees solo. I live in florida and that stuff is hot down here. Terrapro, how expensive could a specialty shovel be. i dont think the expenses of plant and tree planting doing it solo nonething huge that I need a crane could be? I might be wrong.

10. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i have 2 all steel insulated shovels. 1 long handled and 1 short D handled. they are both $120 a piece. ive broken alot of shovels in my time, these are worth every penny