Planting trees now?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Terra-Scapes, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Terra-Scapes

Terra-Scapes LawnSite Member

With the weather cooling down is it a good time to plant some large trees and/or crape myrtles? I have a client that wants to plant 4 large trees etc. now and I wasn't sure if the weather/season was right for them.

2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Are they root pruned?

3. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

We planted five 8-10 foot Sweetbay Magnolias and 10 Crapemyrtles the end of July in 100 degree heat with no irrigation. All are doing well. Of course we babied them by hand watering every day. Would I recommend planting then...of course not but it was the only time we could do it. The Crapemyrtles were in 15 gallon containers but the Mags were B&B and were not root pruned. Crapemyrtles are tough plants. I think planting them this time of year would be fine as long as they get water.

Back in the early 90's we had to remove some Crapes from the 6th floor roof of one of our buildings. They were planted in big decorative containers. We hand dug them and wrapped them with burlap. At the time some of our buildings were under construction and we had to wait until that was completed before we could plant them. We put them in a gravel lot in full sun where the contractors had their trailers. We watered them as best we could during the entire summer. They were not healed in just sitting on top of the ground. I just knew they would be dead before the summer was over. We ended up planting them around a chiller plant for the RSA Tower and all are doing well.

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Assuming these are from a nursery...

The best planting time in much of the country, is from the next few weeks, to November. You could plant any month that you want. But the major root growth for trees, should occur from the beginning of October to about December. If you mulch, it helps even more.

If you get rain, you can plant them, water them, then let the rain do the job as the roots grow and anchor-in.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I advise my customers who want trees during the late summer to wait until September and October. Now is the best time to plant trees, especially in the south.:)

6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Just planted 3, 7" honey locust