Planting trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Green Acres, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 30 spruces (6 foot) I need to plant and was wondering what everyone charges. I was thinking like $150 per tree plus cost. The area is flat and I can use the bobcat to drill the holes. I would then just have to stake and mulch them. Thanks.

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

So you are talking 4500.00 plus costs of ? trees? soil? Mulch? Amendments?
    IF it were I, there is no way that I would pay that kind of money for 30 trees. basically you are looking at a total bill of around 5500-6500 pending your costs on trees and amends.
    That and Myself a bobcat and 2 guys could have that done in less than a day easily.

Here we get any where from 30-50 per tree planted and that usually includes amendments. we also add in any equiptment that we rented. so for us 225 for bobcat rental 1day actually figure 85 for 4 hr rental and knock out all holes at once. figure high at 50 per tree 1500 and stakes if needed. total would probably charge 1700-1800 pending access plus cost of trees.
    Good luck though if you can get 150 per tree do it.

3. lpkatsavage

lpkatsavage LawnSite Member

150 is way high for that many trees. plus you don't really need to stack them unless they look like they are going to fall over or you are in an area with frequent high winds.

4. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

we are about the windiest area in the country.

5. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of spruces becareful on blues, they can be tricky here.

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Do they have to be perfectly straight? That can be a pain. What container size are they?

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

For a residence approx cost x 2 with good access. Included is a warranty of course. If you don't cover costs enough, plant dies.......you lose.

Commercial jobs on the other hand are 40-60% of cost.

Example, I planted (5) Cryptomeria for $2600 including LeafGro, mulch and waranty. Tree cost was $1,200. One yard of LeafGro $100 installed. One yard of mulch $100 installed. Tree cost x 2 = $2,400 + $100 LeafGro + $100 mulch = $2600.

Okay so I come out about $1,350 on the job. Wait, then there is labor + gas + insurance + this + that........overhead. Lets not forget time spent meeting with the customer, twice + once afterwards.........that $1,350 isn't so big anymore.

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

For that quantity I would charge cost of tree + $75 installation + $20 per tree for mulch

9. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

drill, stake and mulch. sounds easy. everytime i plant in shawnee i hit rock. every hole is rock. 6' spruces should have a large nut on them.