Planting two White Pines

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LB Landscaping, Jul 11, 2003.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Got a customer that wants two White Pines planted in his yard to offer a buffer from some less than desirable neighbor's!!! He already bought them ($250 each), they are about 10 ft high with root balls that are about 3ft X3.5 ft. Accessibility will be very easy and digging area is all flat and easy. Any ideas on estimates????

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

In Maine and BOUGHT pine trees? Man, I thought people in Louisiana were nuts when THEY bought pine trees, now I've heard it all.:)

( $75.00-$100.00 each stakes included)

Since they are B&B'd, stay away from fertilizer for the first year, as most likely they have been fertilized in the field. Let them get a year's growth, then nail them with some good fert.

3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

In my area the labor for planting averages 60% of the plant cost. For those trees I would charge $150 each and the stakes would be extra.

4. ElephantNest

from La.

Yes, but the trees are on-site, minimal digging. I'd never hire you for that price.

5. Lombardi

Elephant,
    If you consider digging a hole about 4' deep and 5' wide minimal digging, I have a lot of holes for you to dig at your low wage rate. Minimal digging is planting a #2 plant. How do you know the trees are on site? He only indicates that the customer has already paid for them.

6. ElephantNest

from La.

OK, #1, put a 10ft tree with a 3 ft root ball in a 4ft deep hole, and you've got a dead tree. At least, around here you would. Anyway, a hole that size that you described would take me, alone, about 15 minutes to dig. Yes, I'd say it's pretty easy digging.

I just completed a job with 9 16' trees, and 7 that were about 14'. Trees were on site, I charged $100.00/tree. Did it in one day, ( two really (rain) but one day's time) and made a cool $1600.00. Since it's only 2 trees, maybe he can get away with a higher price, but, like I said, I wouldn't hire you for that price.

7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Thhe trees will be "on site" he is having them delivered by the garden center he bought them from. He has gotten 2 other estimates both around $500.

8. Lombardi

It looks like I wasn't too far off, but I was actually low on my labor. I looked at my retail price list and I was incorrect on the percentage charged by nurseries. For that tree the labor is actually 100% of the retail cost. So, those other bids he got are right on target. I would charge what the market allows.

9. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with u, around here the going rate is at leaste 100% of the retail cost.

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

How "easy" the digging is, is irrelevant. Do you have xray vision and always know exactly whats under the soil surface? In our area, 60% of the full retail price(not a sale or contractor price) is a common going rate. Soil amendment material is extra...we use 1/3 leaf compost with 2/3 native soil from the hole plus starter fert. Staking, when necessary, is included in the price per tree. These should not need staked given their size