Planting when Frost is predicted

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mklawnman, Sep 30, 2003.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Am planing on planting some shrubs tommorow and the forcast is that theres a chance of frost tommorow night. My question is should I wait till the weather is a bit warmer to plant them or would it be ok to plant them just make sure they get covered over night? They will be planted on the northside of the house so the sun may not get there much during the day.
    Thanks
    Matt

2. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

If they are hardy plants just plant them and don't worry about it.

3. mklawnman

Im planting some burning bushes, japanese barberries, and some goldmond spierieas. No peranieals.
    Thanks
    Matt

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Like Dan said, plant away, they'll be ok.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

no problem ...no need to cover them either. Water them in well as you would any time of year.

6. mklawnman

Alright thanks guys. This is the first time im doing planting this late in the year and i know its a good time to plant its just I didnt know if it was ok to plant on a night where it could be a bit frosty out.
    Hopefully everything will run smoothly tommorow that i can get everything planting in time.
    Thanks
    Matt

7. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

The big fear with cold temperatures is roots freezing. I wouldn't worry about the first light freeze of the season.

However, ALL PLANTS have a threshold of how cold a temperature they can take for how long. If you leave the roots exposed to that threshold, in containers above ground, you may lose them to the cold. Hence, nurseries put their stock in hoophouses or heal them in.

Customers often ask how late I can plant and I always confidently say until I can't get a shovel in the ground. I'm more secure the plants will live in the ground with a nice blanket of 3" of mulch than above.

Hope that helps. :)

8. capescaper

capescaper LawnSite Member

we plant all year long as long as u can get the shovel in the ground

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Those plants will be fine. If you feel better by covering them, knock yourself out. They are hardy plants though. :cool:

10. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

After reading this thread I didn't want to start another. I gave a price to plant a dogwood tree. It is a HOA so they had to get another price to satisfy everyone. A local nursery gave the same price as I did but said you should never plant a dogwood in the fall. It will never make it through the winter. I thought as long as it is in the ground and mulched that would be fine. Was I wrong in thinking this? If I should of started another thread , let me know. I agree with , as long as the shovel can go in the ground it is fine. Thanks Matt