Planting White Pines

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Flyscaper, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Flyscaper

Flyscaper LawnSite Member
    from USA

Hey Guys this my first post on this great website. I do have question and that is I have a client that wants 15 6-7' white pines planted and I was wondering if I could plant them now or would it be smarter to wait until the spring time. I live in zone 7 southeast pa.

Shaun :drinkup:
  2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Ok now as long as the ground isn't frozen and saturated. If either one you will have a greater problem w/ air pockets that will dry the roots out and not 'anchor' the tree in well. But other than that, you're ok.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Use Vapor-Gard or Wilt-Pruf to keep them from dessicating.
  4. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Plant them, dig the holes a little larger and back fill with compst topsoil......make sure you pick out some healthy looking white pines tho. Stay away from any browing on the needles furthest away from the truck.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with all of the above, and as an afterthought, you may want to include a co-polymer gel in the backfill mix as well.It will really help the trees in the spring w/ water uptake for new feeder roots. Also, watch for "seconds" trees with all the nurseries trying to sell their premium pines for Christmas trees. Check the root balls for evidence of excessive root pruning,too.
  6. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

Agree with all the above... add stake well esp. to westerlies. I'm in bethlehem and it looks like you have a window of opportunity weather wise.
  7. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi to Bethlehem, PA. I lived in the Lehigh Valley for many years before I moved to Erie. Great place to live and work, but it was getting a little too crowded for me. I lived in Bethlehem for a little over 10 years when I was working at Moravian College. Before that I worked at Greentree Nursery. I still keep in touch with some of the people back there.
  8. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Tell Andy, Tom said the fishing for steelhead is great!