Planting with an auger

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dmk395, Sep 27, 2003.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I have to plant 30 rhododhendron on Monday. Usually when we plant we just dig a hole, however I was thinking of renting an auger as the ground looks hard. Is it worth the 50 bucks for 4 hours? To make my expected profit all I need to do is put 2 rhodis in the ground per hour per man....3-5 gallon size...what do u all think?

2. Keith Howells

Keith Howells LawnSite Member

I have used them numerous times to plant azaleas. They can handle some rock, but they do not do well when there is a great deal of it.

The best we ever did with one was plant 113 three gallon azaleas in one day with a crew of four. Could not have come close to that by hand.

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I've found that the 1 or even the 2 man augers do not work well.
    You still have to do a fair amount of hand digging. Problem with them is that even if you hit small rock, the auger gets bogged down. They also dont so well in clay.They also harden the sides of the hole which can interfere with root development.See if your local rental center has the auger that you tow behind your truck. A real money maker and it works well....rental cost can easily be justifed. One man can unhook from the hitch and roll it to the back yard. Has saved this old man a lot of back breaking work.

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Like garpa said ...watch for glazing ..we ran into some problems on the tree farm(glazing) using an auger for planting bare root trees.

5. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Am I missing something, unless prep work is included, why would two 3-5 gallon shrubs per hour per man not be easy work with shovels? Or for that matter 4 men with shovels and 113 shrubs in one day?

Bryan

6. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

blafleur: my thoughts exactly

Sometimes in the quest to save a little work people make things complicated

7. Keith Howells

Keith Howells LawnSite Member

The amount of work four guys can do depends on the site and the prep that needs to take place, what you have to do to get to it, the type of ground etc. etc. Guess I should have done a better job describing it.

Without the auger we would have been there another 1/2 day at least. Absolutely no problem at all with glazing and the auger had no problems in the Georgia clay. For us it worked well. I would rent one and give it a try. The most you can lose is the $65-75 bucks to rent it.

Some people make things more complicated and some never try anything new.

8. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to guess that if a shovel has a hard time to dig those little holes then the ground wasn't prepped. If the bed is prepped I wouldn't think it would be to hard to plant 30 5 gallon plants in a morning by 1 person. I just did 75 3 gallon Boston Ivy along an unprepared fence in 2 1/2 hours with 1 other man and we didn't work overly hard to do it.

9. philbarb

philbarb LawnSite Member

Ever try a Mantis? Try it you may like it!.

10. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

and is the Echo just a re-badged Mantis ? Gotta have one, looking at these two or a Redmax.

Thanks