Plants and shrubs for yards built on clay in Jacksonville ,Fl.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clntn_mccoy, May 11, 2008.

1. clntn_mccoy

clntn_mccoy LawnSite Member

I live in jacksonville ,Fl. I just got some jobs in a new subdivision. The thing is that it is built on dark clay. I am trying to find out what are good flowers, plants, or shrubs will be good to plant.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Anything in your zone that tolerates wetter, then drier conditions. The only issue you'll have is drainage. If you want to a quality job for reputation purposes, you'll want to go overboard with digging out the clay in the bed areas, and adding good dirt. And then make sure your lawns don't drain into your beds.

Good luck, that's a tuff road to hoe.

3. clntn_mccoy

So does that mean I can plant partial sun plants n full sun areas< since it will remain moist longer?

4. clntn_mccoy

Will lawns in these areas riquire less water? Should I water in the evening like around 6, or on the mornings?

5. White Gardens

Sun tolerences will still be the same. On the lawn, when you water, you can only put down a little at a time and it will dry out quicker. Around here I have a customer who has clay beneith his sod. He can only water for about a half hour before the yard turns into a wet sponge. The sod will dry out quickly because your not getting enough down and if the clay dries it turns into a rock. Always water in the morning when you can. It allows the grass to dry on the surface during the day so you have less chance of diesease and fungus to grow at night.

6. clntn_mccoy

Thank you! What do you think about me buying a book from this site to help my business grow?

7. clntn_mccoy

OK what about the yards with that sandy soil that the water settles on, should i water them out night?

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Never water at night. Yes to the book, Sean Adams stuff is very helpful.

9. clntn_mccoy

what about if i water at 6pm. or should i just stick to the morning like 6am

10. White Gardens

Stick with the morning, and only water at night if you have to, and I emphasize that. Even if in the evening or late afternoon the soil will still be wet enough on the surface to create dew, and that's a recipe for disease and fungus.

Like I said, sun tolerences are the same regardless of soil conditions. It all has to do with cholrophyl and the ability to convert sun-light into sugars. Heat also plays a role, if the temperature gets to high the leaves start to cook.