Plants Dying Out

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BRIAN GALLO, Sep 4, 2001.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I have this commercial property I take care of and I keep having a problem with these spiral cut dwarf alberta spruce trees. What is happening is that they keep turning brown and dropping needles. At the first sign, I started spraying them with insecticide and fungicide, but it doesn’t seem to be working and the plants are in rapid decline. There are 5 of these plants spread out, and they’re all doing it almost simultaneously! The other plants that are mixed in (junipers, barberries & mugho) don’t seem to be affected. Any suggestions?

B’s Lawn Service
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Check for spider mites!
  3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

These are usually spider mite casualities. Check using a white piece of paper. Hold the paper under an affected area and tap on the branches. If tiny little specs run across your paper, that's the problem. If these spruces are in a hot, full sun location, this could be an ongoing battle.
  4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

With my nursery knowledge,Alberta spruce are really touchy, and even more after you sculpt them.They could of been in trouble from the heat and lack of water.If you sprayed them it may of shocked them or harmed them.My knowledge of tree sprays etc is sort of limited.Just my thought and something to think about ......good luck.