1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

plants how much to charge to install ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by EPIC, Mar 31, 2006.

1. EPIC

EPIC LawnSite Member

i am a new guy if i sat by a plant for $10 how much do i charge to install it
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

If you bought it for 10 wholesale you could A) Charge the customer Retail for the plant plus your hourly rate. Or B) Just double the wholesale cost
  3. Stuckwithit

Stuckwithit LawnSite Member

It all depends on your situation and how much overhead you have. If you are a small company, I would just mark everything up 100% or charge retail plus hourly like stated above.
  4. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

Be careful about charging the customer a resale price. Many states require you to have a resellers license if you buy wholesale/sell retail. Just something to ponder on for a while :) What type of plant are you getting? How many gallons? How fast can you dig a hole? It really depends.. are you planting a 1gal geranium for a 15 gal citrus tree? :hammerhead:
  5. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

for one plant its a judgement call on your part. but in general we give an estimate for a planting job at 2.5x the cost of the plant. that leaves room for negotiation and incidentals. (fertilizer, watering etc.) if a customer asked me to plant one plant, I would charge them what a retail nursery would for the plant and be done with it. thats if it is a good, regular customer.
  6. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

When I'm bidding a job, I charge 100% markup on the plant(1 year warranty-somebody's got cover it) and, depending what I'm planting, $ 14.00each for shrubs, $ 4.00each for perenials, trees, depends on the tree
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Heck I would just keep sitting by it for $10 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to say that I really was..just wanted to give you the chance to say something funny for once Olderthan.