Plants in theory

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Garry, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

Knowing that plants are upwards of 80% water, and that a 10% reduction in that quanitive weight can stress/kill the plant.................one must relize that water ranks at the forefront of a successful landscape. Any process that helps maintain field capacity will only ease both you and the landscape...................Bottom line.

(Easy enough)

It really doesn't matter what fertilizer you use if the plant can't obtain the nutrients due to poor soil chemistry.

Does it need lime?........................It does if the plants require a "sweeter" soil and test results indicate an acidic pH value.

You and I need air............................so do plants. Plants do not thrive in a compacted soil. Anytime you increase the flow of air, water, and fertilizers to the root zone............................You've done good.

Has anyone else ever noticed how self sufficent plants are growing in a proper agronomic setting?

Or how the wanton use of pesticides could lead to the demise interesting career?

My question to you is this.............................Where are you going with your agronomic program?

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I sold it to Truegreen. LOL

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Gary

Good question I would like to think I am trying to head in the right direction. Calcium sand of coastal Florida lacks SOM and CEC and water potential. Contractor are throwing up homes on cheap fill dirt mostly Alkynes calcium sandy which compacts leaving no porosity. After run off which contaminates gods woods and water. Field capacity is nil. Florida has water water ever where but not enough usable water at a reasonable price. Droughts of the last few years has played the devil on the once lush Florida landscape.

What am I doing? 4 pass Hollow core aeration followed by topdressing with SOM twice a year. I am shooting for lower pH increased porosity, SOM, CEC, infiltration, field capacity and of course water potential. This should relate to more avaible air water and nutrients. My plants can then express themselves to there full potential. Be more resistance to insects and fungus. Therefore using less irrigation, fertilizer, and pesticide. Yes I am in tree hugger kindergarten Maybe it is called IPM. You got to know your onion to cook IPM right. It is not just scouting and treat as needed. It is the complete care and health with amount of chemicals. Fertilizer is chemical also.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

OOPs reread this post and I left out one word that makes a it differ.

Last line should read.

It is the complete care and health with the LEAST amount of chemicals.

Let me also add that I have gone back to granule slow release fertilizer and systemic pesticides that have less impact on the environment. At one time I was the spray for pay guy. My cocktail was some very very heavy water. I got both response and results. The response looked great, the results were a lot of leaching. It takes education and experience to perform IPM. Yes I am paying more per bag or gallon for chemicals now. But I am spending less on chemicals per year. I still have a lot to learn about Integrated Pest Management. Pesticides are here to stay for next hundred years at least. But which ones stay or go depends on how we use them. Is IPM not Intelligent People Making money.

I would like to see more Threads or even a forum on IPM and organic.

5. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

Great idea. Serious agro-think tank...............................There's way too much experience in and out of this site. We're fools not to take advantage of it.

IPM................................Hmmmmm, is there really any other way?

It's all about the soil...............................in one way or another.

It does one good in this field to look at a landscape as a artist, scientist, and a business man.

Agronomics and economics do not mix.........................8-10 M ft/2.........aprox. 15-30 trees/shrubs landscape..................$800-1200............easy.

Everything has a life-cycle....................................Learn it.

99% of IPM is proactive monitoring.

Be it 4, 5, 6, 7, or even 8 apps. (what are apps anyway) I doubt seriously it's truly going to work....................oh, if the weather is good ...............it looks presentable..........................But, so does the side of Rt. 95.

Example:

According to my U. Mass IPM site , GDD indicates.........................Birch-leaf miners are active..............................Shouldn't I spray my birch trees?

Let's do it!.....................................Serious IPM stuff.

I'm game.

6. 1grnlwn

Hey Garr

Use more letters and less ................
    All the science in the world is useless if you can't communicate. Your post is as confusing as the private message you sent me. What are you trying to communicate buddy. You may not be new to agronomy, but you are kind of new here (as we all were). Try starting a post like there is the littlest thing you might not know. Then people might want to respond in a pleasant and businesslike manner (some not all). Besides how are you going to teach all us high school drop outs about agidonomi, if we won't read your comments. Oh and you don't hav to send me privates, lay her all out right here baby. I can take it. LOL

Mark

7. 1grnlwn

Oh I forgot to ask exactly what are you selling?

Mark

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Gary

Citrus leaf miner in door yard citrus is not a agronomic problem unless pressure be come extremely high. I have never seen it that high. Therefore I don't spray them. Pine bore beetles are very active now, and can, and do kill pine trees all over Fla. Therefore I spray them with Merit and consider it a Best IPM practice. Birch trees I know very little about. My first idea would be not to spray for leaf minor.

You have opened Pandora's Box went it comes to agronomics. As I stated before I hope it stays open. There are many member here that can contribute to this thread and threads like it. We don't have enough "Serious agro-think tank" But I must agree with 1grnlwn on the "Use more letters and less ................
    All the science in the world is useless if you can't communicate."

Horticulture is a serious science. It is also labor intensive. It is too bad that many of the people in it, know just enough to be dangerous. Myself included.

9. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

Just as I thought..........................it will never work with the peanut gallery feeling the need to chime in. How can one make over 300 replies and never get around to saying anything?

Twenty-five plus years I've been surrounded by idiots in this field.............Why did I think it'd be any different here.

Ric, you have a good head on your shoulders (you're a breath of fresh air). There is alot to this....................Huh.

Oh, we'll go indepth. And hopefully in between clown replies we can learn something.

1grnlwn...........................I'm selling nothing you'de understand.........................and like the little black gnats that used to bother me when I mowed fairways every morning.........................I'm just gonna light another cigarette and take a good slap at ya.

10. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Brevity is the soul of wit...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................