1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plants on Ebay

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by studentlawn, Jan 4, 2004.

1. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

I was searching through ebay and was shocked to find that plants are now being wholesaled on ebay Does anyone have any experience with buying plants off ebay? I saw for many shipping was fairly inexpensive compared to the savings that you would get from not going to the local supply. What does everything think of this?
  2. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen that too, if you get a wholesale nursery license though i guarantee you will be able to find wholesale nursery's that will beat those rates. In michigan there is a plant find service out now. It cost about 450 a year but all you do is log on click on what plants you want and it will give you the lowest price on each plant from nursery's all over the u.s. Best part is all the major nursery's i usually buy from are on there. I m not sure if it is available in other states but it sure is a nice service. You might wnna look into it.
  3. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I did find a seller and bought about 3000 tulips froma guy. saved about 25% from holland bulb -- my usual supplier. I didn't buy them offof auction -- just e-maile dthe guy direct. I htink he was quite pleased for me to buy everything he had instead of doing them 50 ata time like he was planning.

- jeff
  4. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

we bought perenials last year, they were dirt cheap and transplanted them and sold them. i think we paid like 1.25 a piece for some and sold them for 8.00
  5. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

so, there was no appearence of lower quality? I just ask becuase I know you can find deals on delivered boquets, but they always come a little ratty.