1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plantscape Solutions

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Jun 18, 2011.

1. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Mulch for Monday. This is 300 bags on six pallets in my trailer. Here's a close up of the mulch.

Whittlesey Mulch.jpg

300 bags of mulch.jpg
  2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

That looks like really good quality bagged mulch, however I'd hate to have to deal with all those bags.
  3. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

Why????? I see perfectly good bulk behind you!!!
  4. grassman88

grassman88 LawnSite Member
    from mass

i was thinking the same thing! no way would i use bagged mulch bagged mulch here is for homeonwers,it seems in the southern states landscapers swear by it. u will hardly ever see a landscaper use bagged mulch up here
  5. PlantscapeSolutions

It's a lot easier to move packaged product in a high density landscape. I hate shoveling mulch. one bag of mulch is the perfect amount for one worker to carry into a flower bed and spread. I just starting using this mulch company here in Austin, Texas. My cost is $1.80 per bag and I sell it for $3.94 on average.

Here in Texas you don't see that many professional companies using bulk in existing landscapes. Usually it's the guys with less education driving the piece of crap truck and trailer who buy bulk. You save a little on bulk but the labor expenses are higher and it's harder on your workers backs.
  6. PlantscapeSolutions

I'm from Maine originally and I can tell you landscaping down here is a much larger industry. Here the mulch places are making mulch year round. The volume is insane and as a result the prices are probably a lot better. Small places only sell bulk because they can't afford $100K for bagging equipment.

When they say the Rust Belt states are dying and the Sunbelt States are thriving I believe it. Austin is a popular destination for people to move to. We still have thousands of homes a year being built here.
  7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

If you're carrying 50 pound bags of mulch, how is that easy on your workers?
  8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

They aren't that heavy, closer to 30lbs. and you put 6 of them in a wheelbarrow and roll them around. Its much cleaner and more effecient than bulk. That being said I use bulk mulch as the bag stuff here is very expensive. If I could get it for $1.80 a bag I would change over to bagged.
  9. gibbonsballer10

gibbonsballer10 LawnSite Senior Member

bagged mulch is way easier, just go back to the truck with the weelbarrow and throw a couple bags in instead of taking 5 minutes to load it in and out every time, will never buy anything but bagged mulch
  10. ochosdaddy

ochosdaddy LawnSite Member

There are benefits for both bagged and bulk mulch. We did a 60CY mulch top-dressing job at a commercial site the other week. Had it drop shipped on site. From there we used a skid steer and a 20SF cart pulled behind a small ZTR to get the mulch were we needed it. Between 3 guys, the job was done in 14 hours, a little prep work was involved. I don't think bagged mulch would have worked as well.

However, I prefer bagged mulch because it is easier to move and cleaner to deal with too. A CF of mulch generally weighs 15lbs, so weight isn't an issue. One guy can easily carry two bags, a wheel barrow can carry much much more. Drop bags where you need em, rip the top open, and spread. I personally feel for smaller jobs, bagged mulch is much quicker to apply.