Plasma Cutters

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by vipermanz, Mar 15, 2003.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm considering going after a plasma cutter, does anyone here have any suggestions, i have been looking @ ESAB machines.

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Need ample air supply and good filter/drier. I love my hobart. It is amazing how many uses it opens up. Get plenty consumables. A straight edge is a must. I have been collecting large washers to use as inside/outside circle templates. Get some sheet stock, you will be amazed how fast it disappears.

Mark

3. vipermanz

i saw a hobart with a built in air compressor for right at $1k, looks like the one you have, actually i think it is!! It's an Airforce 250a, in the Northern book, I came across a strange one @ harbor freight for like $500, it looks different that usual:confused:

4. vipermanz

5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 400 no built in air supply. More cutting capacity. That harbor freight thing looks goofy I have about had it with these discount tool places.

Mark

6. Lohr Equipment & Wel

Lohr Equipment & Wel LawnSite Member

If You want a reliable plasma machine which is built by one of the finest companies in the world buy a hypertherm.Good luck

7. vipermanz

Wow, hypertherm has a good selection and prices!!

8. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

I am a Vol. Fire Fighter And we have 2 Plasma cutters a miller witch is the coolest thing i have ever played with and a powermax i think its called its made specifically for rescue but the miller i could cut well for 2 1/2 hrs. with out having to change out the consumables.:cool:

9. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

I use a Miller and love it. Don't remember the exact model. I don't have to replace the tips too often.

10. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

I just started welding, I've had lots of fun. We've got a very large Lincoln welder with a 6 cylinder Hercules engine that's mounted in the back of our 70's Chevy pickup. That thing has LOTS of power. It's probably from the 1960's-70's. Works great. I have been doing some light-medium duty welding with it, no problems. But you probably won't find one like this anymore! I'll tell ya, when you start welding that thing revvs up loud!!:D Man, I'm glad I keep earplugs in the truck!:D Good thing I found this thread, we're going to need a plasma cutter soon. Gonna be building lots of stuff over the summer.

Later,

Robert