Plasma Cutting IH Cub Cadet Parts

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by IH Cub Cadet, Apr 10, 2002.

1. IH Cub Cadet

IH Cub Cadet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I want to cut out some circles (5.5 inches) 7/16" thick steel for flanges for dual space adapters. Would a plasma cutter be the best bet. Any help would be helpful.

Jonathan

2438.jpg

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Is the plasma cutter readily available for your use? If so, use it - they do a nice job. :)

If not, the good 'ol torch can also be used successfully.

Are you going to lay out and drill the lug holes yourself or have this done at a machine shop?

3. IH Cub Cadet

from Indiana

Thanks for reponding Rob. Yes, the plasma cutter is always available to me any time of day I want it. That is the nice thing about letting Dad buy all the big tools. It is just a drive to the farm. My concern is getting as smooth of edge as possible to cut down on grinding. I have a layout made already for the lug holes. I also have plans for a jig to weld the flange and pipe to the proper location. I am a middle school teacher by trade, welding has been a lot of fun to learn. I am not very good yet, but I figure making 25 or 30 sets of these will hone my skill.

Jon

4. 75

If you have a large number of them to make, and will be doing the cutting "freehand" (with either the plasma cutter or torch) a cutting guide will be a big help in keeping them all the same, and getting a nice clean edge.

Two ways to make one: If you can find a piece of pipe that will give you the correct size circle cut a slice off it, tack a flat bar tab on so you can clamp it down and use that for the cutting guide. Make sure to allow for the head of the plasma cutter or torch head. At a guess, if the circles have to be 5.5" diameter and I was cutting them with the torch at my home shop, I would use a pipe 5" diameter. (My torch tip puts the cut about 1/4" away from the straightedge or cutting guide, 1/4" x 2 = 1/2")

If a suitable pipe can't be found, cut a circle out of 3/8" or 1/2" plate the proper diameter to serve as the cutting guide. Take your time with this one, put a centrepunch mark on the plate and scribe the circle. (You can make a tool for laying this by attaching two nails or screws the appropriate distance apart to a piece of light flat bar) Then place punch marks along the line every 1/2" - 3/4" or so.

Cut it a little oversize and grind back to the line - the punch marks will keep the line from "disappearing" during the cutting and grinding operations. Ideally, when you're all done there should be half of each punch mark showing. :)

Now you'll have a cutting guide you can use to cut the two dozen or so disks you need.

5. IH Cub Cadet

from Indiana

I thought about going to a machine shop and having a 12"x12" square of 1/2 steel cut out to the size of the circle I need (including the clearance I need for plasma or torch tip). Then all I will need to do is place the template on a sheet of steel and go at it. What do you think?

6. 75

Yes, that will work fine too. Guess I'm so used to taking the "low tech" approach I didn't think about having the cutting guide machined! :laugh:

7. Lockman

Lockman LawnSite Member

Hey I.H just saw your post While I can't add any wisdome I can say your on to A great idea there.Adaptors to add duals to A lawn tractor.I would love to have A set for my old wheelhorse.

8. IH Cub Cadet

from Indiana

Lockman,

You will have to get a set from me when I am done. It is the same bolt pattern as the wheel horse.

9. rdln

rdln LawnSite Member

I'd be interested in a set while we're on the subject, do you have an engine for 1965 100 laying around?

10. IH Cub Cadet

from Indiana

No, but I can point you in the right direction in 3 seconds flat. Shoot me an email.