1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plastic Blades

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by coz, Jul 13, 2004.

1. coz

coz LawnSite Member

This is my 1st year in the business and got tired of messing with the string on my Echo trimmer so i bought a new head with plastic blades. I go through a set of blades per week with only 7 accounts. Is this normal? Are a better option than string? I also have trouble getting in tight places with blades.

Your thoughts?
  2. TEG

TEG LawnSite Member

I have to feed more line out on my stihl about every 2 accounts. I've tried both blades and line, and personally.. I like the line for its ability to get in tighter spaces.
  3. jessejamesmck

jessejamesmck LawnSite Member

I bought one of those gator attachments at Home depot. It has 4 lines cutting at once. It works real well.
  4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you serious ?
  5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Are you people all kidding me. Buy a $25 spool of trimmer line, orange color, the purple is too skinny. Put a lot of line around the head of the weedwhacker and it takes, what like 3 seconds to get more string out. Tap it against the ground when its spinning. Plastic blades are a joke and exspensive.
  6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

get an echo rapid loader and then get some crossfire line for it and you sould be set.

btw you sould not go through plastic baldes that fast. those things are expensive.
  7. PrecisionLawnsInc

PrecisionLawnsInc LawnSite Member

Buy Gator Line. Its very aggressive so you have to be careful with it. The plus side is that it is very durable. The fact that it is so aggerssive allows you walk faster as you are triming saving time. It also does a good job of pulling up grass that has laid over. Be sure to get the square line and not the round.

8. PrecisionLawnsInc

PrecisionLawnsInc LawnSite Member

I just saw that there are two kinds of line, gator line and gator magnum... make sure you get the magnum.