1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plastic Drum Composter

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by cgaengineer, Jun 6, 2008.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I am making a plastic drum rotating composter for quick compost processing. When filling do you fill to 100% or is it better to process smaller batches like maybe 50% full? I plan on using these smaller batches for compost tea which I am still learning about.
  2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Stuff it full, the more mass and the correct carbon to nitrogen ratio and that pile will heat up real quick.

It would be cool if you could mount a thermometer on the unit to see how hot it gets. I use a real long one that is used for deep frying a turkey. I just stick it in to see how its doing when I think its cooling off. The hottest I have seen on mine is around 150. It is 3 bins 4x4x4 feet
  3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

this is a favorite, drum composting is great. there is several ways to do it the easy way. the one i like is a drum with 2 holes in the side and a pipe through it, then all you need is a stand, 4x4 work good or you can find one of those wire rolls( wood with a lot of nails) use a saws-all to cut it in half, then suspend the drum on to its sides with pipe straps. to turn your post just spin the barrel on the pipe. also add some air vents with screen(top& bottom) the more air and water the faster it will go!!! happy composting