Plastic edging how to install!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by riley1374, May 18, 2005.

1. riley1374

riley1374 LawnSite Member

Quoting a job to have beds created with plastic edging, top soil, and mulch. Customer would like me to create bed about 36" away from house and run about 80 feet along the side of the house. I have already tried talking this customer out of the plastic edging, but they insist. Can anyone recommend the easiest way to tackle this job? I was going to start by measuring out 36" with some lawn paint and then cut it out with a stick edger, then manually get rid of it with a shovel, then install plastic edging. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Metal is the way to go, the plastic around here looks like crap after a while, hot/cold don't help, plus the fact that it is black......I have never installed it, don't care to, on the metal I spray the shape a customer wants with paint, this way they know what it will look like in the end.....I would get a metal tool from HD that cuts sod, edges, it looks like a half moon/long handle....I would sharpen it, and cut your sod with that, then lay the plastic in.....good luck with the plastic.. :)

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The plastic edging I use is actually PVC thich and brown,about an inch thick or more,lasts forever,and looks good.Ask around I can buy it at my rock supplier and my irrigation supplier's both runs about $15.95 my price for 20" and not a thing wrong with it.Rent a sod remover/lifter,also incorperates
    alot of compost into existing soil(rototill it in )and mound it up or grade it so it flows away from the house foundation.Good luck !!

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Try to talk the customer into using brown Trex boards instead. Won't fade and won't rot yet still looks like a nice wood edge.

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

How I would install plastic edging

Open the lid to the dumpster and drop it in there.
    Metal or stone would be the best and the stone would look the most natural.

6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont think professionals use the plastic stuff my friend . the way to install is to take it back to home depot an get a refund . cut an edge with a shovel or a bed edger looks better an more professional . if you just have to use some sort of edging . use steel edging which is a commercial grade or a nice rock border type edge. these edging materials are alot more attractive an durable . hope this helps

7. theyardstop

theyardstop LawnSite Member

Riley1374,
    I read in a previous post of yours you quit your 9to5 to go fulltime.

How's it working out so far?

as for the plastic edging.. i agree with the last post I wouldnt use it.

but, if you have one of those customers we all love to hate.. I'm pretty sure you have to dig a small trench,, you can rent a trencher very easy to operate. $40-50.00 for 4 hrs. or you could use a lot of elbo grease and use a shovel. stick it in the ground ,, push and pull back on it to create a ...V... insert edging into it.. very time consuming..

good luck

8. theyardstop

theyardstop LawnSite Member

:cry: I'm still laughing !!

9. riley1374

riley1374 LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for your responses, I am definetely going to try and convince the owner to switch to something else. Someone had mentioned the metal kind. Can that just be pounded in or do you still need a trencher? Also, where could i get such material.

Yardstop- Things are going great so far, i have not totally quit my 9-5 job yet, but they have changed my hours from 8-1 which keeps some money in my pockets, and then bust my tail in the afternoon and evening. To be honest, i feel i am getting too busy for the 8-1 hours also, but i am trying to take things slow and learn as I go. Will keep you posted! Thanks

10. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not a fan of the metal edging myself. I'll never forget the first time I put my knee down on that stuff. Looks very unnatural to me. I have been paid to remove it after it had rusted. I'm sure it lasts a while but not forever. I think you can find it at Home Depot, Lowe's etc as well as landscape supply stores. The new thick brown plastic stuff that looks like wood is maybe nicer. I have not installed either of these. Rock is nice. My favorite to use is Edgestone, which is the 12" x 4" x 4" blocks that are concave on one end and convex on the other. You can make curved or straight borders with them. I have installed plenty of the black plastic stuff. Around here we have bermuda grass, so it is important for a border edging to be able to keep out grass. I used to try to just make a slot with a shovel and cram it in there. But you really need to use the correct technique, which is to dig a little trench, place the plastic in, and then put the dirt back in on both sides. It is a pain, but not much more so than dealing with any other kind of edging. If that's what the customer wants....

An interesting comment from a guy working at a greenhouse. He said the most common complaint he hears about landscapers is that they won't do what the customer wants. I consider it my job to try to let customers know what I would recommend, but then I have to balance my preferences with theirs. And if they're paying me....