Plastic Gas Cans Expanding & shrinking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KBW, Apr 22, 2003.

1. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

I have a 5 gallon plastic Blitz gas can. It stays in the back of my open bed pick-up. In the heat it expands a lot and it sucks-in (shrinks) in cooler temps. I know there will be some expanding and shrinking, however, whats happening to mine seems to be too much. Any advice? KW
  2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I leave the air hole (you know the small hole) just loose a little. Just enough to let air in but not enough to let fuel splash out. I know some fuel evaporates but I think its better than a can splitting.
  3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, that what that air hole is for.......:cool:
  4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Mine swell up to almost twice the size in Tallahassee! The only thing is to make sure rain water and dirt do not find their way in.

The real problem is when the cans are srunk small in the morning and I try to refill them with mix...that's tricky!

5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Will cause the expansion and contractions previously mentioned also the larger containers will only amplify the situation. Couple of things to try - loosen the small vent cap, keep cans as full as possible, get metal safety cans.. I started with the plastic stuff and got tired of spraying gas on myself and customers lawns when opening an expanded container and have since gone with the metal safety cans, they are pricy but in my estimation are worth it. Spring tension on the lid (or valve) will allow excessive pressure to vent.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

BobR, nailed it on the head. I know this is not always possible but keeping the containers a full as possible will really cut down the expanding and contracting. The vapor is what really expands and contracts.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I just purchased a bunch of self-venting plastic gas cans. Havent filled them up yet but supposedly you can fill them up and they never leak but still vent out the fumes. Once i try them out ill re-post the results.
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually open up the vent squeeze it to normal size then re cap it. If not, I just leave the vent open always.
  9. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info. KW
  10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

hhhmm....Ive been using plastic gas cans for years and have never once noticed this or had this problem. :confused: