Plastic Gas tank repair

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by P&C Lawn Care, May 31, 2007.

1. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

With all the recent rain here and some new res accounts I broke out the old Lawboy S21ZSR because it is light weight and can side discharge. Problem is it has a pin hole leak in the gas tank and it costs $65 for a new tank. I can get a new tank but thought I'd try a cheaper route first. Has anyone had any luck using a sealant or plastic weld on a plastic gas tank? I have thought about getting an aftermarket tank like what was on the heavy duty LB's.
  2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently just tried plastic weld on a string trimmer gas tank that had a hairline crack. So far it is holding up fine. I got the plastic weld at walmart in the paint supply section.
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

forget it on a lawn boy -there is nothing that can patch a lawn boy gas tank. there is always some for little $ on ebay
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

UB Weld epoxy will do the job I did our big Scag...used a little piece of fiber glass cloth and it held just fine.
  5. regl

regl LawnSite Member

I used J B Weld on a Stihl trimmer gas tank and it's holding fine so far.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the formula of the plastic on the lawnboys gas tanks is different and NOTHING will stick to it! go ahead and try !
  7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

get you a self tapping metal roofing screw, one with a washer on it. that should plug the hole just fine.
  8. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

Seal-all has worked on many small plastic gas tanks for us.

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

With a pinhole, I think I would go for the sheet metal screw and rubber washer. What i need to know is what will seal up one of those black plastic fuel tanks. I recently ran over a stump and busted the plastic tank in one corner. More like a gash. Anyways, a new tank is right at $400, which I have already bought and replaced, but would like to fix the old tank just for a spare. For the life of me i cant figure out why all the tractor manufacturers started mounting the fuel tank below the steps on a tractor. It makes me hesitate even bushogging an over grown field. I keep getting visions of a stick or stob running thru my new fuel tank. And the skid plates are a real joke.
  10. ke5hbd

ke5hbd LawnSite Member

The JB Weld product you are refering to regl and ed2hess is this the clear two part apoxy that has two cylinders of product and as you push the plunger through the applicator it mixes?

My father has a Crafstman push mower that was about two months old and the tank started leaking.
    Well Sears replaced the first tank and you guessed it right the second one is now leaking.

Never would I have ever gotten away from metal and gone to plastic for a fuel tank.

N.E. Tx.