1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Plastic Honda decks better than any Aluminum Decks out there?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I was kickin around the Home Depot today, and while I was there I glanced at the Toro homeowner mowers. Then I noticed the Honda mowers sitting right next to them, with the plastic decks. One of the employees walked up to me and asked if I was looking for a mower. I said "No, but I remember seeing these plastic honda decks before. Whats the deal?". After explaining to him that I own 2 Toro's with aluminum decks, he said that the plastic decks are far better. Easy to clean, they flex on impact, and will outlast anything else out there. I remember them having a high rating with consumer reports as well. So I ask you. Whats the deal? Seems to me its plastic, plastic can melt, crack, etc a lot easier than metal. Seems to me if you hit a large object with one of these, the deck is gonna give. Am I right? I'm not buying one, but its got me thinking.

2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

HOGWASH! Let me give you a few examples. Remember the old bagger shutes? Well here in Florida the sand will eat them up. The sun and elements will work on them and they will become brittle.

Now on the other hand the Flymos and such I think have plastic decks. But they are much shallower and have down force rather than a deck that creates an upflow.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I believe Honda put the "plastic" deck on the commericial mower this year. It is a lot lighter. I have a Honda with steel deck and it didn't hold up very well so I would not worry about the new plastic. I used a lot of lawnboys that had aluminum(or some type to cast material) and they cracked all the time.

4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Plastic decks on mowers... Thanks I'll Pass!

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have the xenoy deck on my honda. I love it. All of last year nothing stuck to the underside of it. I think you would really have to abuse the deck in order to crack it.

6. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

the plastic decks are mulch mowers - if I remeber no bagger
    oddly they where more expensive than the aluminum deck.

I'm not sure how one would crack aluminum or steel deck.
    I always check the are I mow even pickup rocks or loose concrete from the area.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

First they aren't made of "plastic" they are made of xenoy. A substance similar to plastic but much stronger. As a matter of fact the xenoy deck is warrantied for a Full 5 Years which is longer than their other decks and Yes it does come in mulching, side discharge and bagger.

8. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Yea these Honda mowers were baggers. I thought they called the plastic "polymer" or something like that. I doubt that the warranty covers commercial use. But then again, the homeowner warrany on my Toros is 3 years. (1 year commercial). I once hit a horseshoe with one and it completely ruined the deck. It was bent, cracked, completey done for. This is one reason why i'm wondering about these Hondas. I really love my Toro's tho. :rolleyes:

9. StealthDT

StealthDT LawnSite Member

Whenever I buy a new mower with a metal deck, first thing I do is pull it off and take it to Linex. They spray the smooth basecoat on the underside for about $100, depends on the size. Nothing sticks to it, and the deck won't rust from the inside out. Noticed it's alot quieter too.....

10. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

Stealth,

Great tip, I learn something all the time on this site.

Thanks for the post.