Plastic landscaping bed edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cutman2000, May 20, 2012.

1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of using the black no dig edging material. Would this be too unprofessional, have anyone ever used this stuff? I don't have a bed edger and I hate the way the black edging material,filled with mulch in the bed, comes up.

2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say its definitely unprofessional. I'd stick to any other kind of edging whether its some sort of brick, cobblestone, pavers, etc. I prefer a natural edge. I dont have a bed edger either but it doesn't take terribly long to dig a real nice edge if you just buckle down and do it

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

You can get steel edging for about the same price and it's pretty easy to install...just need to cut a slot and tap it in...assuming the soil isn't too stony.

4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I have used Cobra edging here in SW Florida and when installed correctly it will last at least 20 years. I would only purchase this product in the standard 20' lengths and make sure you have all the connectors needed. I would not waste time or money with Valley View edging products. Not worth the time or money IMHO. Good hunting.
    easy-lift guy

5. cutman2000

What do you dig with? I have a spade shovel, would be a lot of work on a 200'.

6. cutman2000

With Cobra, do you have to dig a trench?

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, but if you think that digging in some edging or hand edging a 200 foot earthen edge is too much work, I think you're in the wrong business dude.

8. cutman2000

No, just wasn't aware landscapers did that,...hand edging, really?

9. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Yes and depending how hard your soil is will determin how long it will take to install. I can trench and install a 20' length in 20 to 30 mins tops I charge $2.00 per foot.
    easy-lift guy
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cutman2000

The customer wants it around the house(front/sides and back), and a couple of trees. This is why I thought of the no dig edging material.