Plastic-tine rakes, or metal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Oct 5, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Kinda a dumb question I guess, but when you gotta use a rake, which do you like better? Personally, I like the jumbo plastic ones. Ya, the snap eventually, but them metal ones seem to always bend and snap and just font rake a whole lot to me.
  2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

heavy duty metal tine rakes are my choice..
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

i like the jumbo plastic ones, they just cover so much more area
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I too like the large plastic ones. The metal ones always bend. Guess I'm kinda hard on 'em. Anyone have a favorite brand. I tried Crapsman last year because I knew I they'd replace them if they were junk. They replaced 3 for me (on 2 yards - and I don't rake much at all because I hate it). Finally I had them give me one of the smaller metal ones. Its ok but it keeps coming unscrewed - VERY frustrating. Any advice on a commercial quality brand???
  5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I use a flex rake, the green one with the wide teeth, They get every leaf when raking out flower beds.
    It the norm to blow and rake the flower beds out monthly if not every week, in are area.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The big plastic ones work much better than the steel ones for Fall. They have a greater capacity, don't leave leaves behind as much, and don't dig and tear grass as much, either. I use the steel ones for Spring clean-up, like for digging matted leaves out of the corners, and such, and for gathering stuff like debris and edging fron cement areas, as the teeth don't wear down like the plastic ones do. Home Dept has the really nice Ames plastic rakes on sale right now. The 24" are like $6 something, and the big 30" ones are about ten bucks.
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have a combination of metal broom rakes, hard tine rakes, and aluminum landscaper rakes
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Plastic only. The metal have too mcuh give and are always loosing leaves. I go throught 5 crapsman plastic ones every toe weeks, so, I just keep bringhing them back.
  9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I like metal tine rakes.
  10. lightninglawncare

lightninglawncare LawnSite Member

i like the big plastic rakes