1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plastic Valve vs. Glass Reinforced Nylon Valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rotor-Man, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Not trying to beat the subject to death of which valve or brand is better, but is glass reinforced nylon[Nelson valve I use] more durable than the plastic constructed valves?[Hunter PGV valve] Just trying to decide if a switch this year is worth it, $ wise it would make sense for myself just with the cost savings per valve. Thanks for any insight, I'm always ready to save an extra buck or two on my supplies, but don't want to do it at expense of doing and guaranting a quality job.
  2. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

You seem concerned about changing valves. How much is the price difference? Is it worth your peace of mind?

On the other hand , most valve problems are solenoid or diaphragm related.

3. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I would focus on the reliability than the cost, you don't make any money doing warranty work.
    Have you had Issues with the Nelson? If so, it may be time to change.
    We have installed thousands of the Irritrol 2400T valve and in the last 4 years have only had 3 failures that I can remember.
    2 Solenoids and one Digrapham. All were new out of the box problems. I don't think that's too bad.

I have not used the Hunter valve so I cannot comment on that.
    Good Luck
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that the main problems are going to be solenoids and diaphragms. If the body is going to break, it is usually due to freeze damage or if it is not installed correctly - cross threaded, residential valve installed on a commercial property with too much pressure.

I prefer Hunter valves. Rainbird DV valves are the predominant valves in our market here. But I have issues with those.