Plastic yard signs

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by newbomb, Jan 8, 2005.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I have recently noticed 12"X24" plastic yard signs on wire legs, popping up at every intersection around town here. They are advertisements for all sorts of services. I even saw a sign advertising the signs 25 for $99!!!

When I first noticed them I thought they might be a good Idea for my lawn business. Put them up near neighborhoods I want to work or at the off ramps of 695 in my area. The problem is there are so many around now that they kind of look trashy all bunched up. I also notice in some places they disappear quickly.

I wonder with so many, would an advertiser such as myself end up with irate calls complaining about the eyesore?

Has anyone tried using these? If so, any thoughts or advise?

Thanks

Paul

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Here you can get fined for doing that. You have to have prior approval from the city to put them up. We had them everywhere here for about 6 months until they cracked down on it. You can stick them in customers lawns though. Some guys do it. Personally I think it's a good idea to stick them on a nice customers lawn, just pick them back up before the yard starts looking long again.

3. nater1979

nater1979 LawnSite Member

Now that I have been out of work for the past few weeks, I have personally loaded those signs in my truck and dumped them. They are annoying and really manage to trash up a neighborhood. We are in the business of beautifying landscapes not littering.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am going to order 50 of them before spring. I have one customer that lives on a main thoroughfare and I am sure that he will let me put it up in his lawn. He just signed up chem apps, so I thought about offering him on free app for a month's worth of leaving the sign in his lawn or 1/2 price. I am only charging him $30 for each application (it's only about 2K sq ft).

Do you guys cut a break to clients that allow you to post the sign in their front lawn?

5. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

You'll get more calls from people upset you put them out and requesting them to be picked up than you will sales leads.

Just our experience (and no, we no longer use them).

6. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Yard signs are the greatest "silent salesman" you'll ever have!

We only put them in front of showcase ppty's for 30 days and offer the customers a discount for the advertising oppty.

We also keep them onboard truck and put them at all prominent jobsites we are actually working upon in the Spring and Fall.

We get 3 to 5 new customers per season with them.

7. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I ask the customer if i can put up my sign every other week..that means i alternate the signs about 10 to different yards each week. i dont give a discount :help:

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I put them up all over the township out here. They work great for getting new business, and I've never had a complaint call. Sure they disappear, but I expected they would. I am planning on putting up a bunch this spring.

9. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

FOR mowing/chem apps people: I had excellent luck in the past with the realtor typr signs (metal w/ a frame). I would find a yard that was totally shi**y and all weeds, small and on a main road. Approach the owner tell him you will do x/weeks of free/@ cost lawn care for letting you put a sign in the yard! The main panel would have my logo/phone #, the top panel would have, "Yard in progress". It accomplished several things. Marketed to a specific area, let the everyday drivers see the yards actual progress, and let you show off your work. Took time to pay off (several months), but always neted good results if it had a lot of the same people driving by everyday and it was a small high exposure yard. Signs were about $40 - $65 each but would last forever (chained to a tree).

10. a&llandscapes

a&llandscapes LawnSite Member

mtdman were do you get them around here in michigan