Plate Compactor Recommendation...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by CALandscapes, Dec 31, 2008.

1. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

We recently started doing our own paver, wall, and other masonry installations about 6 months ago, and have been renting a Wacker 1550 compactor...

As the rentals bills continue to come in, I've made the executive decision to buy (I always prefer to own rather than to send someone to the rental place, pay the rental, etc.)...

The Wacker has been working fine, thus far; I'm considering purchasing one..
    Before I do, though, I wanted to get some recommendations for the guys who have been doing this a bit longer than we have and who have experience with different brands of compactors.

Any suggestions??

2. CertPro

CertPro LawnSite Member

I'd go with the Wacker 2540a. It compacts at 5600# and is reversible. This machine will do 4" lifts no problem and is great for tight spaces and footer trenches

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

bigger is better

4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

1550- $1300
    2540 A - $5200

pretty big difference.

5. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts exactly...

I know several other guys who use the 1550s, and they've never had any problems with the stability/strength of their bases.

Any other suggestions?

6. soopa

soopa LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have a 1550 and a Sakai/MMD Compaction Pro 800. They're virtually identical machines but the Wacker has a higher ground speed... which I don't like. The Sakai seems to reach the desired level of compaction in less passes, it's also alot easier to handle in tight quarters and around obstacles. The Sakai is also quieter. I would say the Wacker has a ground speed about 30% faster than the Sakai.

7. Fiano Landscapes

Fiano Landscapes LawnSite Member

We use Multiquip Mikasa 3500# & 7000# plate compactors which are both ICPI recommended sizes. This is very critical for efficient, and to achieve proper proctor density compaction for base preparation for either SRW, and interlocking pavers. We are authorized contractors through many of our local hardscape dealerships, Belgard, and Unilock. They Require us to follow ICPI guidelines for our installations. Not to mention this extra effort in our work literally sells itself when we meet with new clients. I figure on spending approx. $1 pond pond on our compactors it's a fairly close estimate.

8. CertPro

CertPro LawnSite Member

I paid $3200 for mine. And I would have paid much more now that I have it and realize it's potential. A compactor is certainly not the place you want to cheap out

9. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to Ebay and get them. We bought all three of ours there. We ended up getting a Wacker 3545A for $1700.00 off of there, that's about a $9000 tamper! It works great and slams 8" at a time with no problem, done and on to the next thing. We have two 1550's as well. If you're going to get serious about hardscaping a 1550 won't do what you need, you'll spend way too much time in 2" lifts to make it work, or it won't be done right.

Most of the bigger compactors that are on Ebay probably came from rental stores wanting to unload. You can find some pretty good deals there.

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The pawn shop industry is booming.

Check youl local pawn shops.

Also, most rental companies will sell their rental stuff, usually you need to ask them.