1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Plate Compactor = Scuff Marks

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PerfiCut L&L, Aug 15, 2007.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

We've gone through two different tampers and are looking to pick up a third.
    What compactor does everyone use for tamping down your pavers? and what steps do you take not to scuff them?

2. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I read in the one EP Henry flyer that you attach a piece of rubber on thebottom or a piece of carpet. I think that's what they said for their scuff sensitive pavers.

adam

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

the urethane attachment for mine is around $250, so until I get it throwing an extra $20 bag of polymeric down then sweeping the excess up into a 5 gallon bucket to use later is what I do.

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Try placing a piece of retaining wall fabric between the plate and brick. Works well and keeps the dust level down too!

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

We use a wacker 1550 with the urethane plate, works great.

6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Wacker 1550. We use a piece of geo-textile to compact on.

keeps the noise down too.

7. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

We've been considering the wacker 1550. Seems to be a popular unit. Plus we want to get the runner mat for it. right now we use either extra sand, or plywood. Works fine for the time, but our main problem is the compactor we have puts down 8000+ pounds of force. So our biggest concern if we dont scratch them, is how many it breaks. It works great for large projects since we can compact the base in larger lifts, but its not effective for paver compaction.

8. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

I dont do alot of paver work and rent a tamper but heres what I have done in the past. Not exactly sure where the wife gets em but she buys this 3 X 2 carpet sections to use as scuff mats in front of the doors. I think they are small carpet samples from home depot. Anyhow after they look like hell I keep them to lay on in the garage when working on equipment and also lay them over top of the paver prior to compacting. Using a two man team one guy tamps and the other guy keeps moving the carpets to the area the tampers headed too. Works out well but you gotta move fast if you dont have alot of carpets to work with.

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

That is funny. I would laugh my @ss off seeing someone do that. :laugh:

10. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea that would be pretty funny! How do you guys attach the fabric to the compactor?